Playing With Fire...

What would you do if you had a child who always had a lying problem, and then you started finding things that had been caught on fire by him? He's 13 and we've always had relationship issues between the two of us (I was barely 17 when I had him) and I admit I haven't beent he most loving mom - but I am a good mom. He choses to always feel like a victim instead of learning from his mistakes, always lies to get out of EVERYTHING....now this. I was a foster kid so I don't want to give up on him, and I don't think I ever would....but I'm closer than ever to looking into a group home facility or some sort of intense treatment for this.

gypsyjewels

Asked by gypsyjewels at 12:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Find a counselor that works for both of you.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Sounds like you need to get him into counseling
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Third vote for counseling
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I agree with the previous poster. Counseling might be good for him and help him out a lot. Good luck!
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 12:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would say counseling as well. I can't believe that you are thinking of a facility. There are so many other things that you can exhaust first, it seems a bit hasty. First off it sounds like he needs to be supervised quite a bit more so that he is not actually able to play around. Then you should both start counseling. Get connected, develop a relationship. He is just entering his teenage years, lying can be a phase it is a way to prevent himself from getting in trouble. A sort of self preservation. He has so much to learn. It just seems like you are so ready to give up on him just when you should be trying to work harder for him.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I agree with the others, I think counseling would be a good idea.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I should have said this before - but we have been in and out of counseling since this boy was 5. He has been lying since he could talk so that isn't a new problem either. I may seem hasty - but I have to admit I am absolutely fed up. Nothing seems to work or get through to him and I feel like I HAVE exhausted a lot of options. I can't keep my eyes on him all the time - I have two other children one being a nursing toddler.

I didn't mean to sound like I was giving up or that I just wanted to put him away. I don't. That is why I'm reaching out for answers.
    gypsyjewels

Comment by gypsyjewels (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010