18 Iconic Products That America Doesn't Make Anymore

Thoughts?
Clicky

kiansmom0423

Asked by kiansmom0423 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I remember when my dad bought me a Brother typewriter/word processor in the early 90s. It touted the sticker "PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA". I think it's depressing to see all these products go overseas when there are millions of people here who would eagerly work in these manufacturing positions. We sold our souls for cheap labor it seems.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Between the high taxes and the Unions companies can't afford to do business here anymore.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 1:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• No wonder we are having such money problems here. I just think that it is sad.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
    that's what's the matter with our economy: the manufacturing is going, going, gone!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I can't believe they shut down Pontiac! I was very shocked when I heard the news about that. I have two sitting outside .. 94 Grand Prix 2-dr sport edition and a 01 Montana so I can take hubby and MIL to doctors.

I didn't know that many of those products weren't being made in America any longer, but not really that surprised. Cheaper labor and more lax laws in foreign countries. Our greed is going to destroy us. It's a hard fact to face, but it's true.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I think it's depressing to see all these products go overseas when there are millions of people here who would eagerly work in these manufacturing positions. We sold our souls for cheap labor it seems.

***

EXACTLY!  So the next time anyone shops at WalMart or the Dollar Tree (or equivalent crappy box store with the majority of products having been made in China), think...I may be saving a buck, but I also likely cost or contributed to  an American their job!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Nates...you say it so well!!!

I was seriously looking into starting a children's clothing company...using the model I use for my other business. I changed my mind. I will have unionized labor for it...no way in hell I can afford it. Who wants to buy a kids shirt for $30 when they can get one for $10 at Target?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I saw this last night. On the contrary, Farouk used to produce the CHI's overseas, but has now started making them in the USA. With that, they took away their lifetime warranty and now only offer a one year. Also, with that change came massive complaints about the CHI's. Their lifetime, unfortunately, has gone way down.

Yikes!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Interesting about the CHIs. I only use the spray and have wanted to get a CHI iron when my Remington dies.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Our greed is going to destroy us.

Exactly!!!!!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010