My husband and I have recently decided to divorce and our seven year old is coming up with all kinds of excuses to stay home with me . Is he too young for therapy?

lolly1976

Asked by lolly1976 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• I can't say much except that my best friend has her 5 year old seeing a psychologist for the very seem reason. If anything, a few sessions might help you to cope with how your DS is acting. HUGS to you.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• What ? do you not want your kid?
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Definitely not, imho, I would try play therapy
    juliawerre

Answer by juliawerre at 12:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• why do you think he needs therapy just because he wants to stay home with you?...im confused.
    waleb1002

Answer by waleb1002 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• no he's not too young, sounds like seperation anxiety to me....therapy would most likely help him work out his fears....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 1:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• nope my children had serious seperation anxiety during my divorce and therapy was a great help! I would get it as soon as possible
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 1:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• gulfcoastmom4 it has to do with going to school or out and about has nothing to do with not wanting her child...during divorces some children become fearful that because one parent left that the other will too so they do not want to go to school or go out to play or leave the house.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 1:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• If you feel he needs to talk to someone then you need to look into it. My son is 6 and is having horrible issues with Seperation anxiety and Im think Of having him talk to someone. I think by talking to someone it may help in a very difficult situation. so good luck!
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 1:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2010