The middle is NOT the middle anymore...

I actually think Bill Maher has a good point in this clip. You?

Anouck

Asked by Anouck at 1:06 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• He's spot on as usual.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 10:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Those on the far right and the far left will have a skewed idea where the middle is.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 2:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Actually, the right has moved toward the middle and the left fell off the bell curve. JFK would be a republican in today's political environment.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:00 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I could tear Bill Mahr's opinion apart piece by piece, but I don't have the time now ... and I'm not a Republican.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• We watched that last night and he is spot on. I totally agree with him!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Well, from Pam's answer I can kinda assume what he was saying.

If I'm understanding correctly, he's wrong. The middle point which we should be meeting at doesn't have to be the middle of the spectrum, it should be in the middle of where most Americans lie on the spectrum... so if more are leaning right, then yea, the middle will fall more right of center. The "middle" isn't a goal... it's a compromise... so it should be based on the populace. Everything from socialism to libertarianism is "functional" as a political theory, IMO... so where-ever the mean political standing lands for any particular society is what we should be aiming for as the "middle ground" or compromise.

So, yea... the theory is totally wrong. If anything, I think we're polarizing more than anything. The left is more liberal than ever and the right is going back to reaganism and the theories of many of the founding fathers (not all, FTR).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• eh...leave it to someone on the far left to think everyone on the right is crazy. im no Republican, but that little rant just screams "wah! we're better cause i say so". i like to think that i am about as middle as they come; my left of center social views are balanced out by my right of center economical views and there are a lot of us and honestly from what ive noticed most of us seem to be under 30...

it seems Mr Maher needs to read some of his own writings back from when Bush was in office...he sounded crazy too. the non-Presidents' side always acts crazy when their guys not in charge and then totally sane and reasonable when they are in charge. its why so many ppl are sick of both Dems and Repubs...you all act insane when you arent in control, but then make fun of the other side when they act insane...its childish.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I'll admit I didn't watch it because Bill Mahar is just hateful, but I agree with LeanneC. Middle ground should be middle of the total of all who vote. Whether reaching further left or further right, middle is middle. The left was trying to go further left. Apparently that wasn't what the people wanted. Now the right may be going further right, but it seems that is what the people want. So a new middle ground needs to be found.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You know, I wasn't a fan of Bill Maher when I was younger. Then again, when I was younger, I knew NOTHING about politics. Even with the little knowledge I have now, I find myself nodding my head with him a LOT.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I agree! I just saw this earlier and had thought about posting it myself. The right keeps going further to the right and still expecting the left to meet in the MIDDLE, but it's no longer really the middle. I think he makes a great point!

If you have trouble with that link, you can also try this one: Bill Maher vs Jon Stewart
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010