Have you seen "whats eating Gilbert Grape"? I need help!

I am social work student and I have to make a assessment of the Grape Family. Gilbert being the client. I have finished but am on the extra credit question. the question is... "what stereo types might the general public have about Gilbert"? and "How does the movie wither encourage or fight those stereotypes"? Anything will help I am just a little confused. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Entertainment

• Man, I wish I could remember the movie that's a great question and I'm a social work student too!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Isn't Gilbert kind of embarrassed or ashamed of his family. I always thought that he had too much put on his shoulders at a young age. Like he was expected to be the man of the family and maybe felt pressured and ashamed because of it. ?? Don't know if that helps at all.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Have you seen the movie? I'm sure you have. Great movie even though I don't like Johnny Depp. I would say the public would see as the the white trash family. In all he was dealing with the cards he was delt. Loved his mother and brother. Tried to take on the roll of Father figure and keep the family together. Don't judge a book by it's cover.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I saw the movie but I cant remember is Gilbert the older brother played by Dep or the younger brother played by De Caprio?
    I
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• the older one played by jhonny depp
    evans-mama

Answer by evans-mama at 1:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• well because the mother was morbidly obese, people probably assumed the whole family was lazy and didnt care about themselves. And because the husband/father committed suicide people probably assumed they are all crazy or the wife must have been the main reason. The movie basically shows that the family is struggling but they try their best to live normal lives even though the mother just sits around all day and the youngest brother is handicapped.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• To me, the movie is about a disfunctional family in the worst degree. Gilbert a 24 year old man overwhelmed, frustrated and torn between his wants and needs and his obligations to his family, his obese mother and his handicapped youngest brother. I think that people would view him with a mixture of pity and distaste. I think that if this was real life, most would find it hard to get past his family and see the man who keeps with his obligation of caretaker of his family. What doesnt sit well and is uncomfortable to look at and think about tends to become distateful. I think the movie brings up the good, bad and the ugly of human reaction to what is different and misunderstood. It just human nature to judge and become uncomfortable with people we "consider lower then ourselves".
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• If Gilbert was the oldest brother, I'd say he had alot of responsibility on his shoulders, with his mom being obese and his brother being retarded. He did his job well though he took care of the young boy and he protected his mother from public humiliation by burning the house down. I'm sure people thought the family was low lives and wouldn't associate with them. Gilbert knew this and thats why he didn't want his mother humiliated.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• NO - Bump
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2010