How do you feel about this quote

I "liked" Relish Magazine on Facebook and today there's this:
"Hey parents, when flavored milk is discontinued in schools, kids drink a lot less, and get a lot less calcium and protein. Plus flavored milk only contributes 3 percent of sugar in kids diets. Jill"

I responded there, what are your thoughts?

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I personally feel my children's nutrition and such are my responsibility. Although they are all still under the age of 2 1/2 at this point, they have never had chocolate milk. So I hope when I send them off to school they will make wise choices. But, in the event that they don't, I think if they are involved in activities and sports, the minimal sugar will not be a problem. I also think that for those less fortunate, who may only truly eat at school, that chocolate milk needs to be available so they can get a dose of calcium if that is the only way they will drink their milk.

lunchbag

Here is a link to another article almost 1 year ago:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1948865,00.html

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I think that if they would have banned chocolate milk in school, I would have NEVER drank milk. That's the only thing I could drink, the white milk was absolutely disgusting. I say, it's milk. It's the same concept as veges. The Dr. said do what you can to get kids to eat veges... add cheese, it's okay!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• None of my children have ever had milk as a beverage. We drink water.

Sugar is not the only consideration in flavored milk- so is artificial colorings, artificial flavorings, and the excess calories. The other issue I have with it is catering to "kid friendly" flavors. My children are not picky because they have never been catered to, it creates monsters who can not recognize later in life what good to eat, and what is not.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:46 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Hmm. Well, it may be true since a lot of kids won't drink white milk. The sugar in flavored milk isn't the only thing to take into consideration though. They have loads of calories, which is a problem with so many kids being overweight these days. What surprises me is how little WATER kids drink. Why only juice or milk? My son takes his lunch to school every day and I always pack a bottle of water in there.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I think it's the result of black and white thinking and doesn't take many things into consideration......I don't like the trend of training our children to only like "fake" foods....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• One more thing I would like to add is that I want to know what is considered an "average" sugar intake, and is it broken down into sub categories for refined, and natural sugar sources since the body processes it differently.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I a not afraid of chocolate milk, I have more important things to dela with than that
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I think it's ridiculous. Kids only know what they're exposed to. If a child has never had chocolate milk, then for most, white milk is fine. However, who says they have to have all of this white milk anyway? DS gets about 4 oz of milk per day. I prefer he get his nutrients from food intended for human consupmption.
    How have we gotten to a point that we have to add sugar to everything just so kids will eat it?
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I think 1 small carton of chocolate milk being offered at school is HARMLESS, and there are much more pressing issues that need attention education wise. MILK IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• The only place my kids drink milk is at school (they don't care if it's chocolate or white and my 9yo son prefers white milk).  At home they drink water.  They don't "need" milk and get their calcium and vitamin D from other sources.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:46 PM on Nov. 7, 2010