I need a wisdom tooth pulled soon...

Can I request general anesthesia or is the pain not that bad?

tryin2BGOOD

Asked by tryin2BGOOD at 1:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Health

• Honest to goodness, I had 3 pulled out and was supposed to be knocked out and it didn't work. I was conscious and loopy as hell. It sucked.

A few years later, I had the last one pulled with just Novocaine. I kid you not, the doc used a damn hammer and wrench and it didn't hurt one bit.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• When I had 3 of mine pulled on the same day, I wasn't 'knocked out.' I was given the shot in the gums where it numbs the area, that's all I wanted. It wasn't bad at all. You just do whatever you think you can handle hon, good luck.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I had novacaine for mine and was fine. Ask your dentist what your choices are. Do what is going to put you at ease.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I was knocked out when I had 3 of them pulled, so I have no idea how painful it is while awake. I'm sure you can always request it, if not maybe some "laughing gas".
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• They will most likely give you twilight anesthesia. Knocks you out enough you don't remember that anything happened, but its really fast waking up from it. They stop the drip and you are fine to go home rather quickly. But if you do local, its not just a pain thing... there's lots of crunching and cracking noises and you can feel your head coming up off head rest by them pulling on the teeth. I really recommend the twilight anesthesia
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I was knocked out... I couldn't be awake for it.... I'm pretty sure they can put you under, just bring someone to drive!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I was knocked out and had all 4 done at once.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2010