Not walking yet....

My daughter will be one on Wednesday, and she isn't walking yet.....She sometimes will cruise on furniture on her tippy toes, or flat footed. There are so many scares of autism, and I have heard that this is a sign, but I believe that it's tip-toe walking after they are walking? Is this normal???

GGMOSSMAMA

Asked by GGMOSSMAMA at 8:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dont worry!!! My daughter started walking a week after her fist bday and my MIL didnt start walking until 18mths! Every kid is diff. She'll get it. Be patient. My bf's ex girlfriends son walked on his toes until he was 6 and now he doesnt. And hes not Autistic.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I wouldn't worry at all yet. Some are a few months after, some a few months before, and that's completely normal. My mom said I was always on my tip-toes. lol. Ask her pedi. And they may tell you if in a few months time she's still not walking, that they'll look into it. But she is cruising, so it could be any time!
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 8:44 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I think it's normal. I was worried about it also when my daughter did the same thing. She finally walked about two days before her first birthday. She is now 8 years old and perfectly healthy. Top of her class too! I had discussed it with her doctor and he said not to worry, his own children didn't walk until they were 14 months, which he said is within the average range. Try not to stress, she'll do it when she's ready. Pretty soon you'll be wishing she wasn't able to. :)
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 8:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I def wouldn't worry unless they have other signs of autism. Most children love to explore and walk on their tip toes. Mine still do once in a while and they are not autistic. Not walking by that age is completely normal. My oldest walked a couple days after his 1st bday and my 2nd walked at 10 mths. So, as you can see, it DEF varies with each child. Heck, my nephew knew that if he crawled everywhere, it would just get him there faster than walking so he crawled until about 16 mths. LOL The lil' booger. Try not to worry because once they are up and running, they'll be giving you a run for your $$$. lol
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 8:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• dont worry about it she do it when she is ready, i was freaking out cause my oldest wasnt walking at an early age so recived serives to get him in pyschal therapy(he started walking at 19 months even with regular PT) and now he is labled as devlopmenty delayed.....i say just give her practice to try walking she get it soon enough....i havent seen any kids who werent walking by 2 ( in means of "normal" kids)
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 9:41 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• My 3rd didn't walk til 21 mos....when she's ready, she will!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2008