dog flea alergies

My indoor black lab has bad flea allergies, and i think he also has some other skin conditions that are causing him to loose his hair and itch all the time. we have gotten rid of all the fleas, and he wears a flea collar, are there any treatments, or things i can do to help his skin look/feel better, and his hair not to fall out as bad?

sarahlu

Asked by sarahlu at 1:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Pets

• They sell sprays for so called hot spots, most dogs are allergic to flea bites...

Answer by older at 1:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Flea collars will not keep the fleas off the dog (well they might keep them off the neck area). If they dog is allergic the best thing you can do is keep the dog on Advantage(my favorite for flea allergic animals),frontline or revolution year round. I like neopredif powder for hot spots (get from vets). As far as for the skin I put my Golden on a holistic diet for dogs with allergies called California Natural and a supplement called Nupro. When I did this she stopped having skin infections, ear infections and hot spots. Her coat was beautiful and glossy and you could just tell she felt better.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Oatmeal Shampoos or Shampoos without Alchol in them help. They do not dry out the skin or remove all the oil from their fur which can create itchy skin. Ours dogs vet also said we could give them a Benedryl like one a week just to keep them from scratching or rubbing on the furnture or carpet. Also worms can be a problem too ( I just found this out) if a dog has worms their fur is the last thing to get any nutrients what so ever, so it drys out or even dies off depending on how bad the worms are in the dog. I hope this helps!
    piper19822001

Answer by piper19822001 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2010