Help?

My son is 5 going on 6 and he has a very bad temper,I have done put him in therapy but I really don't know how that is going cause I can't never get a hold of her.He is hyper and when he gets mad he throws,hits and yells.He'll run when I tell him to come to me and he laughs when I spank him.It all started about a year ago when we had to move in with my parents and he became friends with a 6 year old next door,that little boy is very rude.I have even caught that little boy stealing from my house,and thats when my son started stealing,he has even stole from walmart(I had a police officer talk to him for that)But nothing seems to help I have tried talking to him, grounding him,taking his toys away,but he still acts the same.And on top of that he is very curious about his penis,I caught him playing with it in his room and I have 2 year old little girl that I don't want exposed to that sort of thing.HELP!

kimberly_0206

Asked by kimberly_0206 at 8:40 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Let him know that it's ok to explore "down there", but it's something that should be done in private.
    Sorry to hear he's such a handful right now. Try to do one on one activities with him, like playing basketball or taking trips to the mall or museum - places that he'll enjoy. Maybe try a reward chart?
    Anonymous

• give him ways to manage his anger.
    There are a few books out there on dealing with "troubled" children, or bad behavior.
    As for being curious about his penis, yeah, that goes with the age, but with everything else going on, are you sure that he hasn't been touched inappropriately by anyone? (I know that's a hard question to answer, as you would believe no one ever has.)
    And I would not spank when you are trying to teach him that hitting is bad, because for him, that's just going to reinforce that it's either something you do when your angry, or that it's okay.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 8:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• If you don't like the little kid he's playing with then stop then tell your son he can't play with him. Do you think most of the influence is coming from his little friend? Also, does he get enough normal attention at home, like you play with him spend the day with him, do what he wants to do? Don't give him too much attention when he's being negative or he'll just strive for whatever works. Is his dad around?
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 8:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• http://angertoolbox.com/joinclub.html
    http://kinderstart.com/childdevelopment/behavior/aggressiveanger.html

I REALLY HOPE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING LINKS WILL ASSIST YOU IN YOUR BATTLE. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU FIND ANYTHING THAT HELPS
    friends4me

Answer by friends4me at 9:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Explain to him in a age sensitive but firm manner that his friends actions are unacceptable and thay are not to be repeated and will not be tolerated. IDK if your ds still has any contact with this boy. If so, I would not necessarily keep them apart from each other, but keep a closer eye on the two of them like checking on them while they're playing maybe every half hr (or whatever time you feel is sufficient) and when/if they are at your house, be very clear that the boy's behavior will not be tolerated in your house and if it continues, he will be sent home. Also, if you fell you need to, if they are in your ds room, make it a rule to keep the door open. BTW, what does/did the mother/father say about all of this? Do they discipline him?
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:45 AM on Nov. 2, 2008