Should Christians be able to drink coffee?

Your body is a temple. You know that caffeine is not good for you. Why is it considered acceptable to consume THIS drug, but not to consume something like... oh, alcohol, or nicotine?

Caffeine is a contributing factor to HBP as well... Yet you'll find a coffee maker in just about every church office.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 2:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Not every Christian or Christian Denomination prohibits or discourages the use of alcohol. My faith is that Jesus drank wine. Drinking is okay. Getting drunk is another. Getting drunk disrupts your ability to make good or rational decisions. Though I agree coffee is not the best thing for you and that the body is God's temple I do not think Coffee or any other unhealthy (nutritionally) substance is what the saying/teaching is referring to. IMO it is more talking about keeping your spirit clean and your example that you set righteous. Humans do sin and no one is perfect which is why I am so thankful God is so forgiving. Understand this is my belief and not every one will agree with me but I hope it gave you some insight as to what some Christians believe.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Caffeine also has health benefits.

Besides that, why do people expect Christians to be perfect? Are they required to be saints just because they believe in Christ? I don't get that logic and don't hold Christians to exceptionally high standards.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Coffee is wonderfully rich in anti-oxidants and that is a good thing, I don't care if your Catholic, Jewish, or even Atheist! There was a recent study that said that people in their 40's and 50's who drank 4-5 cups a day, have a 60% less chance of developing Alzheimer's when they are older! Works for me, and I am a Christian, BTW!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Coffee may lower the risk for diabetes.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Then should Christians drink tea or pepsi or coke? I know that my Reverend drinks coffee.
    I have a friend who will not touch coffee because of caffiene, but she will drink tea?? And complained because I gave her decaffienated tea.
    Yes I think some people believe your body is a temple, but to deprive yourself of everything?
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 2:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Many Christian churches allow alcohol comsumption. Catholics take WINE at communion every service and if it wasn't for the beer and wine sales, most church festivals and other activities would not make so much money. I know MANY Christian and Catholic priests that are recovering alcoholics and drug addicts. I guess coffee is a heck of a lot safer than them getting drunk or high. I also don't think it is up to ANY religion to tell someone what they can and cannot eat or drink.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Having a cup of coffee a day actually is beneficial to your health. I'm unsure of where you got your info, but coffee does not contribute to HBP.
    MamaNata

Answer by MamaNata at 3:23 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I am Catholic and we can consume whatever, for the most part. No meat on Fridays but fish fries make up for it.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 2:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Amusing to me as I had a brief chat with two Mormon missionaries who were buying caffeine-laden sports drinks in a convenience store. I said surely you shouldn't be drinking that , it is full of caffeine. They replied it is only coffee and tea are forbidden as they are habit -forming stimulants. Sects have queer rules , tea and coffee have nothing to do with Christianity .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• At one point, the Vatican tried to ban coffee, but Pope Clement VIII liked it so he refused.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2010