Has anyone tried re-establishing your milk supply?

My son is 6 wks old and he didn't nurse regularly, but I did pump. I stopped pumping about a week ago out of pure exhaustion of trying to feed him 3 different ways with formula pumped milk and nursing. I can still express a little milk, has anyone been successfull at this?

courtcaton

Asked by courtcaton at 2:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, my situation is a lot different than yours, but Yes. I had my last bio child almost 9 years before my little one was born. I adopted her & wanted to breastfeed if possible since I had done so with my other children & it was what her first mom wanted as well . I had not nursed since my ds was 1 & that left 8 years of no milk production. I bought an electric pump & did manual stimulation starting 3 months before my dd was born. I never got full milk production, but was able to give my dd small amounts of breast milk supplemented with formula. I would guess since it has been much more recent for you, that you should be able to successfully re-establish your milk flow.
    Good Luck!!!
    eeyoreplus4

Answer by eeyoreplus4 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I can't believe you haven't gotten more responses to this! Ye sit can totally be done. I personally have not but I have read an awful lot about it when I was trying to increase my supply from practically nothing. It will be a lot of work but it can be done. You will need support, a good pump and plenty of time. Here is an excellent article.  A supplamentry nursing device may help you as well.  Ther are several breast feeding groups on here as well that would be happy to support you.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You may also want to consider a lactation consultant to help you out as well as researching some herbs. I used fenugreek root and blessed thistle.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2010