My son is 3.5 and will not potty train.

He has no interest. I even have a pile of small presents wrapped up sitting on a table for him, he knows if he pees or poops on the potty he gets one. Last night he peed on the potty and got a gift. He was thrilled. Today has has peed in his pants 4 times, this after asking him practically every 20 minutes if he has to use the potty. He is begging for a diaper, I don't know what to do anymore, do I continue to let him pee all over the place, or put him back in a diaper until he's ready? My daughter potty trained in a day with the reward method, no problems. Have no idea what to do here.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 2:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree - don't ask him - TAKE HIM! I remember my DH and I going thru this one....we hung signs around our home reminding us "DO NOT NEGOTIATE WITH CHILDREN!" lol
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• First I think instead of asking him all the time, just take him in the bathroom. If you can you could set a timer and say "Oh it is time to try and go potty." When in the bathrom have books or something for him to look at, it might be easier to have him sit at first.

For my kids I used a calendar system, so there was a calendar in the bath room and everytime they went they could put a sticker on it. I took them shopping for underwear and stickers. If he really isn't ready it is going to take a while.

I know you could always use the if you are going to go to school you have to be able to use the potty. Sorry can't be more help.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2010