Does it bother you

when moms bragg or compare their kids? I'm not saying the oh he took his first step I'm talking about the she's only 9 months and walking and talking nad yada yada, when in reality they are just standing or walking while holding on to someone for support or only saying a few words?

bigtrucksgirl

Asked by bigtrucksgirl at 8:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• to answer my own question!
    It really bothers me. I try my hardest to not throw it in peoples face that my son did this or that at this age. Every child is different Some do things before others while the others do things before the "faster" kid does. I post a blog for my family since they are far away telling them what my son is doing and how he is growing etc. When I talk to friends I talk about other things nad when they ask I tell them but I don't go on and on about it. My son is advanced in some areas and behind in others I don't feel the need to compare him to other kids. Maybe I'm a "bad" mom but I'm not going to lie and say hes crawling at 4 months when in reality he is learning by commando crawling and scooting around.
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 8:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Yup, it bothers me and I simply respond by "Oh that's nice" and don't feed into the full ego. Change the subject. LOL
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 8:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

Thats my answer too! :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• It only bothers me when it's obvious they are trying to "out do" another child or another's parenting skills. I find that the ones who do that usually have an only child. I'm all for being proud of our kid's accomplishments, but there's a difference between positive comments and one's modesty being blown out the window.
    Anonymous

• You're definately not a bad mom. I would say you are a considerate mom. You are proud of your child and his accomplishments, but don't feel the need to brag or stretch the truth. Some moms just like to talk about their kids so much that they sometimes do this. I'm like you, I've heard these things and I just ignore them. And, I try not to go on and on about my own kids. I know exactly what you mean and it bothers me too. :)
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 8:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• whew for a moment there I thought I was the only mom out there who didn't think their child was God! And yes I try really hard to say oh that's nice nad move on but some moms.....ya just can't do that with....that's when I walk away, or the hubby calls, or the baby is up to feed or something!
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 8:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• yes my best friends son started crawling at 5m and was walking at 8m she constently(SP?) brings that up when we talk about my dd that is 10m and just now started walking.
    My sister does it with my son because he is 2 and doesn't talk a lot she compares him to her dd who is talking A LOT and did when she was 2. She even told me that he ws probably autistic because he didn't talk well.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 8:58 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• sorry meant she just started crawling not walking. I think it will be a while before she starts to walk.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 9:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• THE ONLY TIME IT EVER BOTHERED ME WAS WHEN MY SON AND MY NEPHEW WERE BORN 45 DAYS APART AND MY SISTER COULD NOT LET ME SAY ONE POSTIVE THING ABOUT MY SON WITHOUT SAYING "YA WELL MY SON ........... YADA YADA YADA."
    friends4me

Answer by friends4me at 9:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Anon: It only bothers me when it's obvious they are trying to "out do" another child or another's parenting skills. I find that the ones who do that usually have an only child. I'm all for being proud of our kid's accomplishments, but there's a difference between positive comments and one's modesty being blown out the window.

**I agree 100%! =)
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 9:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2008