How should I handle my 3 year old?

I just recently gave birth to my second son back in oct. of this year. I had prepard myself the best I could for how my oldest was going to handle having a new baby in the house. To my surprise he actually is really enjoying be a big brother always wanting to help with taking care of the baby, which for the most part I try to figure out ways for him to help in some way or another. The issue isn't with brother, it's with how he act towards my husband and I along with other family memebers. Not throwing tantums but getting agery, crying, won't lisson, I can't even get him to do the simple task such as telling him if he wants a drink he must bring me his cup without him getting winey or back talking. I feel like I am at my wits end, if anyone has any suggestion please feel fee to share., I could talk all the help I can get!
thanks

MommaHartley73

Asked by MommaHartley73 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• have you tried a sticker reward chat i have one for my 4yr old as she started becoming really hard to handle after starting school it has done wonders she has started listening and actually does as she asks now its the best thing in the world!!!
    jode1010

Answer by jode1010 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Sounds like a stage he is going through due to a change in his life right now. The best thing you can do is let him know that you understand that he feels frustrated and maybe even angry sometimes. But don't forget to set boundaries (such as making sure he knows it is unacceptable to hit or be violent to show his anger.) and give him other ways of expressing his feelings. Talk his feelings through with him, especially since most children at this age don't have the vocabulary to express how they are feeling. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would say its the change thats making him act up, i would try talking to him getting onto his level and spending a minute seeing what he feels or thinks..the sticker reward system..then gaining enough to earn something sounds good too.
    You deffinately have to stick to your guns though and that can be hard.
    kyliemaynard

Answer by kyliemaynard at 4:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• He is acting up because up until about a month ago or so he was the center of attention and now he has to share he loves the baby and loves to help out but doesnt understand the change yet. you should make sure when he acts in those ways you tell him it is wrong and put him in time out and in drastic cases a spanking. when he is clear of the boundaries and knows that you still love him he should be back to being you lil baby boy..what might also help is setting up a time in the day or just a day for him to have either just mommy or just daddy or both of you to himself to do something special to reward him when he is being good..and stops the attitude.Good luck with whatever method or whatever you choose to do!!
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2010