When is puberty going to kick in?

My DS is 13 and has NO signs of puberty - no armpit hair, no zits, no nothing. He is 5'6" tall and weighs 112 lbs. His sister had her period when she was 10 and had hair from head to toe, I swear. Should I be concerned? I'm seeing my own doctor next week and am going to ask about him but I'd like to get some thoughts from other mothers.

cheeseit

Asked by cheeseit at 2:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Most doctors do not become concerned about a boy until around age 15 or 16. If signs of puberty have not started by then, then a visit to an endocrinologist is in order to make sure everything is working properly. We never thought our son was going to hit puberty, then at 15, it hit with a vengence ~ be careful what you wish for...lol.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't. He could be having the emotional part of puberty first. My son is 14 and is just starting to get the hair and growing like a weed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't be worried yet
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Every child is different. Ten is actually pretty early to be going through puberty. I didn't really start until I was 14.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Thanks for your input moms! He doesn't turn 14 til March so I'll take him for his yearly physical then. Maybe by then he'll have sprouted an armpit hair or something - poor kid.
    cheeseit

Comment by cheeseit (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I was 13 when I started my period. I would not be worried.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I think if you mention it, it would embarass him and make him feel like something is wrong with him.. You shouldn't be worried, everyones bodies have their own schedule.. he will hit puberty when his body is ready for it..It can't cause him any harm.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:11 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I was 14 1/2 before I started my first period. Also, the more active a child is the later they hit puberty. GL
    WhitneyMommyOf2

• I would not be concerned if your dr is not. I assume you take your son for yearly physicals? All kids develop at different rates and unless there is some major glaring problem, the no body hair and no BO thing is not a big deal yet.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• UPDATE - my doctor says I worry over anything and should NOT be concerned with this. He'll be seeing him in March for his yearly and if he notices anything out of the norm then, he'll let me know. Geesh, I guess I do worry too much! Thanks moms for your opinions!
    cheeseit

Comment by cheeseit (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2010