Any and all potty training advice you have.

I have a 25 month old boy. I feel we are going in the right direction, but I would LOVE to hear what worked for you.

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Havent had a boy, but Ive heard putting those little cirlce things in the toilet and letting him aim for them really helped a lot of my friends! Also, with my girls I found the reward system REALLY does work wonders.. I have a few potty DVDs with cartoon characters and it showed them going potty and washing their hands and what not, they LOVED see'ing other things like that using the potty! good luck!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 2:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• If your child has a lot to drink they will have to go more often. It takes time for them to learn but they do when you least expect them to and it really is a big accomplishment. I felt like I was the one in training while training them since I found by putting them on every couple of hours or when they had a substantial amount of beverages to drink made the potty training a lot easier. Additionally I got a seat that was the right size for them to sit on since they were afraid to sit on the regular seat for fear of falling in.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You might want to make sure he is really ready. Google "toilet training readiness" . Some of the moms on here really love the 3 day method and you can read about that online. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• switch to pull-ups. When your child is just starting out on the potty, play it safe with the disposable variety. He can pull them down like underpants, but in the event of an accident they absorb like diapers and can be ripped off rather than pulled over his feet. Once your little one has enjoyed a few successes on the potty, try switching to washable cotton training pants.

let him bare his bottom. To boost your child's awareness of his body's signals, allow him to scamper about (in a private yard or room with a washable floor) with his lower half unclad. Why this works: It's hard to ignore urine when there's no diaper to hold it in. Keep the potty close by so your child can act on his body's signals quickly.

choose easy-on, easy-off clothing. When nature calls, there won't be a moment to lose. As your toddler gets the hang of undressing, avoid togs with snaps, buttons, clasps, or zippers (elastic waists
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• watch closely. At this point, you might be better at detecting his body's signals than he is. Look for tell-tale signs (like fidgeting or straining) and gently ask when you suspect he has to go. Even if you're too late and he's already done the deed, have him sit on the potty anyway to reinforce the connection.

offer praise when he reports bodily functions. Even a belated mention is praiseworthy — after all, it takes practice for kids to recognize signs of impending bladder and bowel movements and make it to the potty in time.

WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 4:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Wait till they are READY

When you decided that you are going to start. Dont go back and fourth. (it will only make it more confusing for child)

Dont use pull ups-(other than at bed time) They are to much like diapers and this is confusing for child as well.

Go to the store and let child pick out their underwear....this makes it more exciting for them.

When child has a accident make them sit in it for 5 mins(most kids hate being wet) This reminds them why they should go on potty.

I dressed my Daughter in Pants&undies so when she went potty in her pants it was more uncomfortable and it was wet on her legs

Set aside two or three days to focus on just training and make no out plans.

Give child lots of water and fluids during the day so it makes them have to go potty more often....they learn the "feeling" of having to go potty quicker if the have more fluids running through their system.

nat1387

Answer by nat1387 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• For me, and I have a girl so keep that in mind, I found that at first I really had to be good about every two hours or so telling her it was time to go at first. We used pullups becuase I'm a very lowkey kind of person and I have enough trouble keeping up on a clean house without having to worry about kids mess from accidents and I alos mostly let her direct how things went. I more encouraged potty use until we got more serious and didn't make a huge deal out of that she didn't always go but ALWAYS make a big deal when they do go. Emd idn't like a little potty or seat insdert but see what your child likes.
    Rewards worked wonders for us. A dora fruitsnack if she was clean and used the potty. Laffy taffy if she just went potty and needed a change.
    Also panties were a prize for when she could use the potty all the time. So like after a week of not real accidents.
    Night train once they have a good handle on staying dry in the day.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 11:33 AM on Nov. 10, 2010