Where do I start?

I would love to be able to make diaper cakes and sell them for some extra money...there aren't many providers of those around here, but I know they are popular. The only problem is, I have no idea where to start? How do I even make diaper cakes? How do I get creative with them? How I can stay cheap with creating them and still make money off of them?

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would start out by getting the diapers in bulk for one, say from sams or costco! Pick them up when on sale or when you have good coupons! Once you've made a few, get into craft/vendor shows and sell them, get business cards and advertising cards printed at vista print. Can get for free, just pay shipping. I'm sure you can find sites on-line as on how to make them. Nice idea and good luck to you!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You can find instructions for them on eHow and other sites. There are probably even crafty mom groups you can join here with instructions
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You can definitely find instructions and videos online to demonstrate it! Search, you'll come up with a lot of ideas!!!
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Since you don't have any experience with them, you have to do some work before you start a business on this. First, get alot of diapers, ribbons, cardboard,accessories, etc and get to work. You are going to need some practice and figure out what works and make them sturdy, good cakes. Make like 20 cakes, you can take pictures and then tear them apart and make another one. Get good at it and build up some pictures. Get creative - make a double topped cake for twins. Make one for when they don't know the sex.

Along the way, figure out how much materials you have in each one (how many diaper, accessories, ribbons), and how long it took you to make it. Figure out what that cost is to the customer.

At this point, decide if you want to do this or not. Can you sell these things at those prices? Did you enjoy making the cakes?
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:11 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Well, first off, get the instructions and practice. Once you feel comfortable, make yourself a legit business, buy yourself some business cards and start selling at craft shows. Network and accept custom orders.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2010