How to improve our home environment?

I don't feel at home in our apartment. I don't know if it's because I haven't invested in our home with things I'd like to see - more organization pieces to reduce clutter, matching furniture in good condition, actual decoration and framed photographs, etc. or if I'm just not happy here, and might be happy elsewhere.
We live in a very nice neighborhood, with the best schools, and I like the area in general. My two major issues with the complex is the fact that their playground sucks (which really disappoints me), and we get mold on our window sills because we're on the ground floor, and actually half IN the ground.
Knowing those things, if you were me, would you move to a different apartment (which is more expensive) and try to start over, rent a HOUSE, which would be outside of the nice neighborhood that you like, try to buy a house in a lesser school district, or stay where you were for another year and make improvements?

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 3:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would invest some time to decorate and declutter your home, you would be amazed at how much better that will make you feel about your surrondings. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• It sounds like yo have a lot of disappointments living where you are, and if you continue to feed that kind of thinking then you'll never feel at home. No matter where you live, a house can only be a home if YOU make it one. Try lighting patchouli or jasmine incense to lift the moods in the apt. Crystals also help to bring peace of mind. Maybe paint the rooms different colors to give it a personal feel. Whatever you do, think positive, and you'll get a positive outcome. Good luck.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 3:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Overall, you've described a very good situation with a few drawbacks. No, those 2 things would not cause me to move. I would clean the windowsills daily to prevent mold and start decluttering and getting organized, using colors you like and an arrangement that helps you to feel comfortable.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• put some personal things out, or buy a small amount of themed things. ALWAYS have music goign especially if youre half into the ground. INVITE positivity to live with you guys, otherwise the opposite will come to stay!!!... yikes,. get soem easy to care for plants like spider plants, ivy-leafed lookig things, or snake-plants (those tall speary leaved things) or cactuses in a cool arrangement. i woudl hate those windows... so get some BEAUTIFUL hot or luxurious curtains, ahades or window "treatments" even if they are wmall windows.... if there si no light in there, get COOL small lamps or lighting -- LIGHT and AIR adds to happiness in a home. music too. also, have APples and cinnamon scent ed oil burning, or vanilla, or cookie smell. or hazelnut smell...somethign warm sexy or homey. get a trickling fountain. make a prayer space or a "you" space. get new sheets. drink coffee and be sharp. start a journal about this time period
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 4:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Okay...invest in a dehumidifier....that will help the mold. Now, take your digital camera out and take some photos of your favorite architectural elements around town. Then, if you have a good printer - print them out in black and white on photo paper (8.5X11) (5x7) (4X6) - then frame them in black frames. Use 3M command strips to hang the frames in groups of 3 or 5.   Do the same with photos of your children.  A crappy playground can be worked around.....find a great one in town and visit it.  The link below takes you to the 3M command strip website where you can print off  a good coupon.

http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NACommand/Command/?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=SE_exact_3m-command&gclid=CKvRqOjRj6UCFeFM5Qod3XLIPQ

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:24 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Decorate ...happiness comes within ...any place can be made into a nice place. I had a garden level apt. like yours, and had it for 4 yrs I put pictures of the kids in frames and put sheer curtain panels and then outer curtains with a pretty pattern... on the windows that way i could see out but nobody walking by can see inside. get wall candles and have a few plants arrange the furniture for a cozy setting, add some throw blankets over the backs for added coziness
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 8:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I'd stay & invest a few bucks into sprucing up the apartment. If you don't feel comfortable or even welcome in your own home, you're not going to be happy in it no matter where you lay your head at night, kwim? As for the mold issue, a dehumidifier in the room may help, as well as better insulation for the windows to prevent the build up of moisture. Also, once mold starts growing, the spores dig deep, so surface cleaning will not prevent it from coming back, even if you keep the area dry, you need something that will kill the mold spores completely. If you have a steamer or can rent one, the hot steam will kill the mold without adding more moisture to the area, which may help to at least reduce the amount of mold growth you have to deal with.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i will stay where you at you can always go to another park take care of that mold or that mold would take care of you. i would make it you home is where the heart is
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 10:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2010