what do you consider to be "far" right? what about "far" left?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 3:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• To me the far right would be your people who think their religious values should dictate the laws of the land. They are usually anti choice and anti gay. The far left would be those who think the Government should have their hands in everything but a woman's right to choose. Both are about control based on their own ideology.  Many in either group are very intolerant and don't have the skills to compromise. 

tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 3:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Far right to me are the birthers, the tea party, the religious right, those that think Obama is Hitler or a socialist or Kenyan, etc... basically most of the pubs. The far left are those that believe 9/11 was an inside job. I don't know a single Dem that actually believes this. So, in short, most republicans are way too far right. If we could find some good moderates, who are WILLING TO WORK TOGETHER AND COMPROMISE, I'd be willing to listen.
    Anonymous

• Far right is either Fascism or Anarchism depending on who you ask.
    Far left is either Communism or Anarchism, again, depending on who you ask.

Many will put the spectrum on a circle because of this.

Just right of communism is socialism (as a stepping stone to communism), then moderate left (current liberals or progressives in the US), then moderate, then moderate right (current republicans in the US), then libertarians come before fascism (or anarchism).

Thing is, no one supports fascism and the only people who have ever supported anarchism are those who wanted to overthrow the current government in order to change it (typically to support leftist ideas... which is why it can be put on either end). So those ideas may land on the far right, but the TRUE far right for me is libertarianism. Any sane person can see we need some form of central control.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I think abekat hit it pretty well!
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Social issues belong on a completely different chart, IMO.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• IMO, the far right are those so bound by their religion that the only interpretation of God's word or man's intended way of life is as written in the Bible. Anything that deviates from that accepted norm is patently wrong and makes one a sinner. (Can you tell I was strictly raised in the Catholic faith?! LOL)

The far left are those who subscribe to the "Progressive" movement!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• best example for me is Glenn Beck is FAR right and Keith Olberman is FAR left (BTW i LOVE Keith Olberman :) lol!)
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Far right believes it's a Christian nation. Far left believes everyone is too stupid to care for themselves and needs the government to tell them what to eat, how to spend their money and how to raise their kids.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Tabekat has it about right. One's moral values, hopefully instilled when young, shape your outlook on life and that outlook will have some absolutes. It is how you tolerate others convictions that set you apart from the radicals on either end of the spectrum for they tolerate no divergence from their point of view.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 5:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I'm thinking more and more that we need to separate social standings from fiscal/political standings in this country... why do so many of you associate political leaning with religion? The far right really has nothing to do with religion... it is purely a social construct of the republicans in America (which happen to generally land moderate or moderate right).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2010