Thanksgiving Dinner

what are some of ur traditional thanksgiving dinner recipes? this is my first Thanksgiving dinner that i am suppost to host and i want to impress my mil. i have a few things from my family traditions but what are some other ideas. for my side dishes i have greenbean casserole and homemade mashed taters, crescent rolls, and for the main i have turkey, dessert i have classic pumpkin pie and thats it. should i have anything else?

Skylersmommi124

Asked by Skylersmommi124 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Holidays

• Candied yams or yams fixed with brown sugar and maple syrup is something I've made. Stuffing is another traditional recipe and I use sausage in mine.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Find a good stuffing recipe you like. Like CafeMochaMom1, my husband's recipe includes sausage. I think this year he's' going to try adding apples to it. We also have a sweet potato casserole (yum!!) and cranberry sauce and black olives.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i make a Jell-O salad and a Zucchini Casserole
    mommy223326

Answer by mommy223326 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Oooh yeah, as CafeMochaMom1 mentioned, stuffing. Stuffing is my favorite part lol! ;)
    What about an appetizer? Are you planning on any of those? For that I usually make deviled eggs, cheese ball and crackers or hot spinach and artichoke dip, lil smokies wrapped in bacon and sprinkled with brown sugar and a veggie tray with dip.
    Some people make a special drink for the day, but I never have.
    I've heard of people having everyone write down what they are thankful for each year too.
    Good luck, enjoy your family and food....I'm sure your mil will be impressed.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• hey you should have stuffing its easy, sautee onions and celery, add stuffing crumbs, add chicken stock and stuff bird and bake in a pan even. try pearl onions in cream sauce (just flour, water and cream or milk stirred in the paste...) my mom makes them every year. also you must have a sweet potato something... just boil, slip peels off, cut up, add maple syrup, brown sugar, oil and cinnamon and bake liek a casserole, add pecans too crushed up a little. ALSO try well-boiled artichokes with melted butter as the openign course! easy but fancy. you can do stuffed button mushrooms with breadcrumbs, sauteed onion, garlic and crabmeat or parmesan cheese mixed as the stuffing for each moshroom and bake them til softened and brown. yum! instead of green bean caserole my mother boild FRESH green beans and adds sauteed mushrooms ro alivered almonds and butter in! put little russel stover chocolate turkeys at each placesetting. GL! bles
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 4:00 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• do macaroni and cheese from scratch too! also an easy homemade gravy way is add water to botom of roaster, stir and scrape up drippings when roaster is over low heat on the stove.... then in a mug put some flour and add water mashign the flour into a paste each time. add this "roux" to the drippings and water,m and stirrrr! you can strain it or serve with lumps!! you can add pultry seasoning spice to it too to flavor. salt and pepper too. YAY
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 4:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Did anyone say cranberry sauce? (if not, why not?????, lol...)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I have something that's traditional in a whole new way and it's always a hit. Pumpkin Soup! Yes...it's amazing. Look up the recipe on the Food Network. It's the one by Rachel Ray, that's the best one.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 6:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Stuffing, cranberries, yams of some type, I make corn bread pudding which is a side dish, not a dessert. Some bowls of olives. And I make deviled eggs. Does anyone in your family not like pumpkin pie? We love it but I always bake another type for those who don't, an apple, pecan or lemon meringue pie.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 7:07 PM on Nov. 7, 2010