Why does fruitcake get such a bad reputation around the holidays?

My grandmother soaked hers in brandy and nobody ever complained about it tasting awful. I guess they were being polite or she actually had a recipe that actually tasted good. I never had the opportunity to try her "drunken fruitcake" since it spent time basting in its tin on the kitchen counter till it gained optimum taste for the holidays.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• fruitcake i straditional and can taste liek honey-cake or spice cake with dried fruits in it instead of using too much weird candied pieces or too much citrus is what ruins it... ANY honeycake soaked in rum or brandy is awesome with milk or coffee or tea on a cold winter holiday night man!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 3:52 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Too few people know how to make a tasty authentic fruitcake. They generalize all fruitcake to be like the poor dry recipes too often shared.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Most people think of the candied citron-filled bricks of nastiness so readily available for sale around the holidays. They ARE truly nasty.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• All the fruit cake I have . Tastes bad. If you minused the fruit part. It would probably be good.

Answer by louise2 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I've never been a big fan of it myself. My mother still eats it, but I think she is the only one. Most fruitcakes are heavy, dense, and filled with fruits that are candied. Its a bit much for me.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• There are good fruitcakes and bad fruitcakes. I think the people who have given it a bad reputation have never had the good kind.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My husband's grandmother made wonderful fruitcake. But we have tried to duplicate it and it is only so so. I think fruitcake is one of those love it or hate it things.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Because a lot of people don't like fruitcake, and a lot of people give them as gifts.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Never actually tried it to be honest!
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Comedy.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2010