Looking for other parents of 4 year old with speech problems

I am new to Cafemom, DD4, is behind other children her age. I have fears that it may be a form of autism, I don't really understand what is going on with her, she talks, but not clearly, we understand her, but we are used to it. Sometimes when we ask her a question, she will just repeat the question instead of answering it. She is in Head Start this year, but I have no clue what she does all day or how her day went, because she will not tell me. Just looking for other mothers of children this age with same issue. I am in the process of getting her evaluated for speech, but worry that something else is going on here. It breaks my heart and keeps me up at night, she is a beautiful, spirited creative intelligent child, with lots of spunk, humor, and personality, I love her to death, just looking for some support on here. Looking forward to hearing from other moms. Thank you in advance, and for having a place where I can vent:)

carey222

Asked by carey222 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Here's an awesome cafe mom group:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/21848/

Great group of ladies with similiar issues.
    Anonymous

• Get an evaluation. It will give you alot of releif to know what it is wrong. My 2 yr old is not talking, just babbling. Our speech evaluation was last week and we discovered she was at a 1 yr level for expressive and verbal speech. The school district will get involved and send to our home a theripst to work with her and do a more complete eval, even give us a diagnosis. If you let your child slide thru the classes they might not catch up. Evaluate early.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 9:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• My dd is 4. She was having speech problems also, but mostly because of the way she pronounced the words - talking was not a problem for her. She turned 4 in Dec. Her pedi suggested that I call the school that she will be attending. I went in Jan for the eval and she had 47 errors out of a possible 77. She was speaking at less than 2 year old level. So now it is 9 months later, I had them reeval her last week and she only had 12 errors. Call the local school that your dd will be attending. They should offer it for free. We didn't have to have a dr order, so you can call if you believe there to be a need. Just call ask to speak to the Speech therapist.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 9:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Continued - I was told that my dd would spend YEARS in Speech. But now they are considering discharging her as they get out for Christmas.She exceed everyone's expectations. She is now speaking at a 4 year old level. I hope your daughter has the same success! PM me if you need any more information.
    ratchetlee

• My 4 yr old son is very much behind in speech, he needs to be coached actually. I have a 21 yr old autistic daughter, she is high functioning and is ahead of her game because of very early intervention. However that was in the minneapolis area. Now we are extreme rural and really no help for my son. I know he needs help and it breaks my heart when we are in public and he wants to socialize yet nobody understands him. It is very hard and if you want to chat in private I would love it! I don't have anyone so send me a message and we can go from there...Take care!!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I have twin boys who are 4.  When they were 3.5, I noticed one twin stuttered and the other did not speak complete sentences.  I had both boys evaluated by a speech therapist through our school district.  Once a week both boys are in a speech class for a hour. Its free!  It's amazing on how better they are now talking.  I would take your daughter to her peditrition and discuss your concerns regarding Autism, also see if there are any programs your school district offers for speech.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 3:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• hey,repeating a question is called echolalia. its not such a bad thing because your child is trying to communicate with you.get an evaluation soon though.early intervention is the key
    tusa

Answer by tusa at 5:29 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I'm having the same problem and concerns with my four year old son. It has been very stressfull not to be able to communicate with my son, and I've been telling myself to just give him more time. I am beginning to believe that there may be a speech problem. He is very intelligent and I know that he understands every word that I say to him, but he doesn't respond in a way that I think he should. I can ask him something like, "How was your day at school?", and he won't respond. Most of his answers are yes and no. He may say a few words clearly, but the rest of it will be jibberish. I have the same fear as you that it may be autism, or some form of ADHD, but I really don't want anyone slapping a label on my child. I would like to keep in touch with you or chat in private if possible.
    MommylovesJ

Answer by MommylovesJ at 12:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2008