How do I quickly train my 10 week old Lab??

We just got a 10 week old Lab yesterday, I've never raised a god before and I'm at a loss! I can really tell she misses her mom, the previous owner informed me that she'd never been off their property before. How do I avoid all these accidents? She's yet to "go" outside and she isn't playful and that breaks my heart! I want her to be healthy and happy and for my house to not smell like dog pee! :)

PLEASE HELP!
:)

kalanthestepmom

Asked by kalanthestepmom at 3:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Pets

• well 10 weeks is very young....use puppy pads all around her, and weekly take one away until there is only one pad left by the door, reward her often
    Anonymous

• Poor baby:( She will get used to you all soon enough. Labs are so sweet, they are the best dogs around in my opinion. Anon's suggestion is right on. I must warn you though, Labs are notorious for being naughty puppies, and the puppy phase usually lasts over 2 years with them. But once they hit adulthood, you could not ask for a better dog! Good luck:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 3:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Persistance. When I got my dog as a puppy, I would clap or make a loud noise when she started doing her business in the house and she'd stop, then I'd run her outside to finish her business and give her hugs, cuddles, pets and make a big deal out of her going potty outside (side note: you have to pay attention to them ALL the time). They may be dogs, but positive reinforcement works great! Also you can cut up hotdogs into little circles and take one out with you and when she potties outside give her one, but then they'll expect treats every time they go outside. Different strokes for different folks (dogs included). Try talking to a dog trainer if you've exhausted all other possibilities.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:00 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• She is very young and just taken away from all that she know's. Potty training generally isnt "quick" unless your very lucky. Keep your dog either attached to you with a leash or confind in an area that you will notice when she is making signs of having to go circling smelling the floor whining. But know that until she feels more comfortable she may go on the floor out of nervousness. Please try and be patient and try not to yell. Give her a week to become accostumed to the house, the smells and the change :). Good luck!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Oh there is def no yelling! My husband and I are using "No!" firmly but we're really just not angry people lol. We're being very patient, I guess I'm just getting ahead of myself! I just worry that I'm not going to do something right
    kalanthestepmom

Comment by kalanthestepmom (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Keep her in a crate to housebreak her~~Found this to be the easiest way for all the puppies we've had
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 8:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• We are trying to housebreak 2 puppies. When we first brought each one home, there were a lot of accidents the first few days. I take them out about every 1/2 hour, then stretch it to 45 minutes, then an hour. They are now 6 months and 4 months and are doing very well. The older one has started puppy training at Petsmart, the trainer told us they don't have full control of thier bladders until around 6 month. Not much got done around here for the first few weeks, you need to keep a constant eye on the pup. Our youngest one was very withdrawn and shy when we brought him home. It took him a while to adjust to his new surroundings, but now, he is a playful,fun. adorable little thing! Give it time, it's not something that can be rushed!
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 5:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It'll happen, Kalan. Remember when I was training Putter? It took three weeks, but he got it. Lots of patience, we'd put his nose near it and say "NO" and immediately take him outside. Spend LOTS of time out there with her, and reward with lots of praise, pets, and treats when she does go. CONSISTENCY is the key. take her out every half hour to an hour, just like potty training a child. :) you can get it!
    Wrtngfantasymom

Answer by Wrtngfantasymom at 11:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• CRATE TRAINING! This will save you a world of messes in the house. You've got time - 10 weeks is a puppy. Put baby in the crate at night. They hate to go where they sleep. First thing in the am, take him out, when he does his business, praise him. Go one further and get a clicker. What people tend to forget - (yes, even me...) is how much work it takes to potty train and obedience train a puppy!!! It's like a newborn! They need SO MUCH consistency to learn quickly - otherwise it will take much, much longer. There are many great books on the subject, some downloadable, but there is no quick way to potty train a puppy. Just LOTS of effort on YOUR part. But look at the rewards of having a good, obedient, clean dog you are proud to have in your family, rather than one you have to lock in the bathroom when you have guests! Think of it as a long term investment of your time!
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 7:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2010