anyone have a dog that sheds badly? How do you keep the hair undercontrol?

I have a akita/germansheppherd mix. She sheds terribly. I have to use lint brushes to try to keep our clothes looking decent when we leave home.
What do you do to control it. She is shedding really bad right now since the weather is changing. Any suggestions is appreciated.

mandynjohnsmom

Asked by mandynjohnsmom at 4:00 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Pets

• I used to work at a vets office and what worked really good on dogs that had a thick undercoat was something called a "shedding blade" really removes the loose fur that really starts to come out this time of year. G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Same problem here! German Shepherd - Husky mix, she sheds her undercoat and then regrows it several times a year. I usually take her outside and brush her when I see her shedding, but honestly it is never enough because she has fur coming off of her constantly. lol
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I have a shepherd/hound mix, who sheds terribly too. I try my best to keep her brushed. We have a special comb that helps brush the shedding undercoat out. But I'm still brushing up enough fur every couple of days to make a small dog. Thank goodness for hard wood floors!
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 6:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I don't have a dog but had experiences with long haired cats.I too had a prob with shedding.I used lint brushes as well.Try combing and brushing his hair often.Maybe that helps.
    alisha34886

Answer by alisha34886 at 7:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I use the furminator brush on all of my animals. My lab mix is the worst shedder of my crew but it adds up between everyone. That brush is the best one I have ever used. There is less hair in my house and to be honest I do not have to vaccuum as much as I used to. I still vacuum of course but I have not needed to do it everyday anymore. I would also recommend getting agood vacuum that will hold up with the pet hair. I have a kirby and it is the best one I have ever used especially where the fur is concerned.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• In my experience, I have used the shedding blade and it works good for shedding dogs, and if you can get your dog to a groomer for a bath every now and then, they can blow out that undercoat on your dog. I think that would help out a lot.
    MinnieMouse8

Answer by MinnieMouse8 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Brush , brush , brush
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• my golden ret does too!!! uuuuuuugh!!!!!! LOL i brush him...alot!!!!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2010