As an atheist, how do you deal with evil? What do you tell people who suffer?

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• This question seems awfully presumptuous and can be viewed as making several false implications. First off, I don't necessarily believe in "good and evil."  There are choices which we all make, some in which we benefit from and are wise, others which are more impulsive and may not be the best decision, in either case I am left to deal with the consequences of all my choices (good or bad) on my own.  From those choices come experience and greater knowledge which we can either learn from or not. I choose to learn from them and let that help influence any future decisions.

Now should bad things happen to me that are the result of another's poor choices I cannot control anything but my own reactions and subsequent actions. I try not to dwell on the past. Bottling up negative emotions only leads to further drama in the future. I deal with what needs to be dealt with and simply move on with my life.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Before I can answer this, you will need to define evil.  Exactly what evil would I be dealing with?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Most of the time; Do whatever you need to do to get through it. Learn from it. Hang tough...humans are stronger and more resilient than they know sometimes. Life is hard and then you die...make sure somebody remembers you for a GOOD reason and not a bad one. Whatever doesn't succeed in killing you will make you that much stronger. I guess, it depends on the situation.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Being an athiest does not mean your heartless the people I have known who were were the most compassionate.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• different things ... depending on the situation: It's the way of the world, people are mean sometimes. That you own it, too. That there are ways to get better. Stop thinking in circles, look for solutions/ where to move from here.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I don't believe there is evil. I believe both positive and negative energy exists naturally in the world and people who do things that are viewed evil are either mentally ill and/or a product of their environment. People suffer because of the actions of other people and everything is a giant chain reaction. Whatever you do or say- down to the smallest thing- affects someone in some way, shape or form. Nothing is meant to be, everything is a coincidental reaction to an action.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I do not believe in evil so I would not discuss "evil" with my children...Now there are good and bad choices and that they all have good or bad repercussions when you make these choices...but nothing is "good or evil" as in a religious based definition.

4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 8:07 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• please define "evil" for me.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2010