is there any other possible way to keep a fever down?

my son is 4 months old and has been running fever for a few days now i give him tylenol soon after i give it to him his fever goes right back up and im only suppose to give him tylenol every 4 hours. i woke up this mrng and his temp was 103.5 and every since then cant get it to go below 101.00 the hospital said that they like it under that but really theres nothing they can do for him besides give him fluids well i can do that at home but i'm scared that his temp will end up getting dangerously high is there any advice anyone can give me to bring the fever down i remember that they said he's got a viral infection i think probably the flu.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Fluids like they said, tylenol only as directed, a cool cloth on the forehead, give him a tepid bath.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Well, you really should check with your Doctor before doing this especially since he is only 4 months old, but I've always been told by Doctors to switch between Motrin (ibuprofen) and Tylenol (acetaminophen) every 4 hours. By the way, something I have discovered over the years, Tylenol has never really worked for my girls, but Motrin always broke the fever and lasted a long time.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You can alternate tylenol and ibuprofen, sometimes that works better.....also when it goes to 101 or above, but him in a tepid bath, but don't let him get cold.....push fluids.....if he's not taking them go back to the emergency room and let them help you.....hold him a lot and sing to him....when you give him a tepid bath, get in the tub with him, hold him close to you and use your hand to gently bathe him with the water....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 4:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• YES! right now or when it spikes...... my mother was nurse and >I< nursed my son with asthma severe out of it hes now 7, and i have an eight month old and had to do this once after her shots.... RUN a lukewarm bath, slightly warm NOT cool. but not on hot side either. Place child in bath in their seat or inclined. slosh water over them (pour or slosh with hand) over their skin all areas, for no less than 5 minutes,. they will scream or if toddler thinkits weird but who cares, talk reassuringly and make it fun or OK. NEXT wrap them in a huge towel or two towels. get them to a place to lie down! dress loosely if have the chance, just pj bottoms or JUst a tee. give MOTRIN/ibuprofen if over 2, or give a dose of acetaminophen/tylenol if under two PLUSa touch more... THEN place a COLD/very washcloth folded long, on their forehead and re-colden when fever makes it warm again... THEN take their temperature...it will BREAK it. Do it ;)
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 4:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• fever is a good thing wih a viral infection. i wouold just keep giving him the tylenol and let the fever do its job, make sure he gets plenty of fluid and rest. good luck.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• offer bottle or breast OFTEN even if he only sips, as have to prevent de-hydration is deadly watch it
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 4:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You absolutely can not give Motrin to ANY child under 6 months.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Tylenol, nurse and take the little one outside in the cool air. Good news is that babies tolerate fevers much better than toddlers and adults.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 5:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Catnip tea enemas twice a day and ginger root tea internally twice a day works better than any other medication I've ever tried.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 6:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• give him medications only what the dr said..my mother in law is a nurse to and she would always tell me to give motrin before bath then in about three inches of luke warm water sponge bathe him for 5-10 minutes just make sure they dont shiver..keep him dressed light and room cool, make sure he stays well hydrated as well..pedialyte would be wonderful for him..viral infections usually go 2-3 days so hopefully he will get better by the morning :(
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 1:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2010