How can I get my son to cooperate in potty training?

My son is too smart! He is giving me the devil of a time trying to potty train him. He tells me "Mama, you can change my diaper!" when I try and get him to use the potty. He is a little over 3 years old.

Any suggestions!?

gypsysmiles

Asked by gypsysmiles at 4:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Several moms have said the three day method is great! You might want to read about it online. just an idea........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• He may be "smart" but maybe not ready for potty training yet. Give rewards and make a really big deal when he does go. He will eventually learn and wont go to kindergarten with a pull up :). I didnt think my youngest daughter would ever get it she was almost 4 and wasnt night trained until she was near 6. My oldest was totally trained day and night by 18 months. All kids are different :)
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Don't give him any option but undies or being naked.

We'd been giving little treats and that was going okay, but I made some giant peanut butter cookies (his favorite) and told him he wasn't getting a cookie unless he used the potty. That was all it really took with him.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 4:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• maybe he's just not ready yet-
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My son knew when he had to pee, but just wouldn't go in there. I just backed off of it for a week or so and then turned it into his idea. He asked for a toy one day and I told him if he kept his pullup dry, I would buy if for him. He has been going on the toilet consistantly since with only a few accidents. Just give him time...he will come around!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• If he can tell you to change his diaper, I think he is ready. Take him to the store and let him pick his favorite underwear. Then at home don't put him diapers just the underwear. Be ready for accidents, and he is not going to like that and start going to use the toilet. Good luck, I know it can be really challenging.
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 4:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Well just tell him that the diapers are gone, then you can't change them. He's going to keep you on your toes. What fun!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• take the diapers away! Good luck
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:02 AM on Nov. 10, 2010