Do I start tummy time right away?

I know about the importance of having at least 20 minutes of tummy time a day, but do I start this from day one? More than just helping with muscles and motor skills, I've read that it helps the shape of the skull develop. I'm still pregnant- requesting to have my membranes stripped at the doctor tomorrow and if that doesn't work, I'm being induced in labor and delivery on Wednesday night. I'm determined to breastfeed, so that will give him some time off of his back everyday, but do I start having supervised tummy time for a few minutes a day from day one?

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 4:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my pediatrician told me just 5 minutes at a time, from birth.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• yes, from day one. Remember tummy time to the baby can be him lying on your chest, after nursing, just relaxing. :)
    Anonymous

• Yep, as often as you and baby are comfortable. And as the anonymous PP said, remember that "tummy time" constitutes any time spent on tummy, not necessarily on the floor. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• yes start it asap tummy time will help in every way get one of the baby gyms my baby loved just laying and looking at all the things on the mat
    momanddadyoung

Answer by momanddadyoung at 8:23 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

momanddadyoung

Answer by momanddadyoung at 8:24 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I have heard that tummy time is good to start right away, but not too long at a time!
    cj93082

Answer by cj93082 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2010