Are you going to tell your children about Santa? Why?

I talked to a woman last week, who told me how she found out. Certain pieces of the puzzle just fell into place and it wasn't even that she lost a childhood-thing or something. She was terribly mad at her parents for having lied to her all these years.
What are you going to do?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Some people react that way, but not all....it honestly depends on their personality.....I taught my kids about santa, and they were fine....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I was never pissed at my parents and my kids are not pissed at me.  We all grew out of Santa as we grew up, when it stopped making sense.  Sounds like that woman needs therapy.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• We don't do Santa in this house, however we don't shelter our kids from him either. They still see Santa on movies or cartoons, but we make sure they understand he is as fictional as anything else they see on TV or in their books... We believe in leading by example, so because we teach our children lies are not okay, even for fun... So we believe in order to set the example we wish for our children to follow telling our children things such as Santa or the Tooth Fairy which we know to be untrue would be wrong. Like I said though, we don't shelter them from those things either, we simply let them know that they are not real.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Already did. Our boys have Autism so they mature slower, so at 11 they still firmly believe (on their own) Santa is a real person or spirit or something that shows up once a year. We did explain to them that Santa stops coming after your 12 cuz there's just too many little kids being born and having to visit for just one man to visit so he stops at 12 (sometimes sooner). The boys accepted that and when they finally figure it out, they won't be upset. They'll be cool with how we handled it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:30 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Santa has been a part of our family for over 17 years. It is never ending in our house as we have a child every 6 1/2 years so our last DD is 4 and Santa will still be going strong for several more years to come.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i have never told my kids that santa was a real person... i don't like to them about anything else in their life, so it wasn't worth it to me to lie to them about this. i've had friends who lied to their kids and really took it to far imo and all the kids felt bad when they found out the truth and wondered what else their parents had lied about... we also believe in God and i wouldn't want my kids to think i was lying about him...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 4:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• We've never done Santa. I don't have anything against it, but we didn't want to do it in our family.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I won't tell my kids for many years. I loved believing in Santa I was very mad at my mom when she told me. I even asked her if she was the tooth fairy and the easter Bunny too (I was REALLY mad)! I love the magic of Christmas and we all believe in Christmas in my family and Santa too =). My MIL tells her kids there is no Santa Around age 2 and her youngest (5years) was so mad he told everyone he saw!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 4:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My kids know about him. The "real" St Nick and the jolly fellow who visits on December 25th. My kids are also quite young so these are stories that will develop and get questioned as they age.

The fun of the holiday is in the giving and thats what my children are being taught. Santa is a giver, he is the spirit of giving and fun and wonder.
    Childhood is about wonder and learning and growing. I wont deny my children that just cuz some think its "lying".
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My kids have figured it out, but they aren't mad about it. We still tease each other and pretend there is still Santa. My kids have fun with it still. My parents did Santa with us, and it was the least of the things that could have or did scar me as a child.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010