Baby bouncers/vibrating chairs SBS?

I'm pretty sure it would need to be a much more vigorous of shaking than a simple vibration to cause shaking baby syndrome but I'd also rather not make assumptions that can put my soon to be born son at risk.
I haven't bought a vibrating seat yet but figured it could be one of this years xmas gifts since it's only just around the corner.
So can the baby bouncers cause SBS?

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 4:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well when my daughter was in the NICU we had to watch a story about SBS and after the video my husband shook me and asked the nurse if that was enough to hurt the baby. She said no so he shook me again...really hard...the nurse again said no and then told us that you would have to shake a baby hard enough to detach the baby's brain for the baby's spinal column. It's sickening. So I would think that bounce seats are just fine after talking to a nurse and having to sit through that awful documentary.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 4:24 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Thanks! I had hoped it would have to be some strong shaking that would hurt him given how much infants seem to enjoy vibrating and soft bouncing.
    slowyourrole

Comment by slowyourrole (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You are getting far too worried about all these baby items! What do you think she/he felt for 9 months while you were pregnant?
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 5:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I couldn't sleep last night and cafemom's home page was down so I thought the whole site was down and didn't get my fix last night. I just laid in bed thinking about what to get a newborn for Christmas and started having questions. I had cafemom withdraw! lol
    slowyourrole

Comment by slowyourrole (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• ok :) They really don't need much! Books are always good.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 5:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• If they caused sbs they would not be able to sell them. Not trying to be mean, just being honest. I have a feeling you are a new mommy to be, dont worry so much, you will only stress yourself out.
    Amy_M

Answer by Amy_M at 5:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I've been using a vibrating bouncer since DS has been born. He is in it right now, and loves it. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• No they can't.
    Nemhs

Answer by Nemhs at 6:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• nope def not strong enough to hurt
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 1:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2010