Are walkers bad for babies?

I was watching home videos from when I was about 6 and my little brother was almost always in his walker running through the house and crashing into things and it made me remember how often I would see babies in walkers in comparison to now. Is there something so bad about walkers that caused such a decrease over the years or is it my imagination?

slowyourrole

Asked by slowyourrole at 4:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If not properly locked the can collapse and break the child's legs.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• The walkers that you put the baby into, yes. Why? My pedi informed me that most parents don't properly babyproof their homes, so kids fall down stairs, get burned on ovens, knock things over and hurt themselves, etc. So we chose to get a bouncer for her instead. One that stays on the floor, not one that's hooked up over the doorway. Those are (according to our pedi) unsafe as well.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• We'll be living in a rancher in FL by the time he's able to be in a walker so there will be no stairs to worry about. The only thing we would really need to be careful and full baby proof would have to be the parrot's cage. Don't need him losing fingers!
    slowyourrole

Comment by slowyourrole (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• We chose to use one in moderation but our house was completely safe in our house. The big things was kids were falling down the stairs in them. To me it is just a supervision thing.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I have heard numerous times that walkers are ok if used properly and only to have your baby in them for 15 minutes at a time. They can cause bow-leggedness if baby sits in it too often. (of course the safety issues as mentioned above.)
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• A lot of walkers were recalled and are not made anymore due to safety issues....but really, far as I can see, it was far more an issue of the parents not watching the child than anything really wrong with the walkers. Too many parents tended to put their child in them and then not keep an eye on them, many failed to block off stairs, etc. or ensure that the child could not pull something over on him/herself. The thing is a child can get into things whether the child is in a walker or not and the fact that an item is manufactured with the idea of it helping the child, the parents, or both, does NOT make it a substitute babysitter or a substitute for parental supervision. Things like walkers, bouncers, playpens, etc are fine as long as the parent remembers that they must still keep an eye on their child.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 5:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I believe that walkers are not good for children. It doesn't actually teach walking, because the baby learns to depend on the support from the walker and doesn't actually develop a sense of balance.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Walkers have been perfect for my babies, they don't rely on the walker for support but they out grew it as soon as they were 9 months. Alternating crawl/practice time with a little bit of walker time is fine. My kids aren't behind on any motor skills nothing bad has happened and they are happy semi independent little lovelies.
    MakG

Answer by MakG at 9:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I was concerned about safety--stairs, easier access to unsafe things on tables, etc., but there are pictures of me in a walker and my mom said I loved mine. We bought my DS an activity table with a seat that goes around as a compromise, and he loved it. Now his twin cousins are using it, and they have so much fun--they just don't like waiting for their turn. The one we had was from Bright Starts--similar to the one in the link below, but a different design. We found it at Toys R Us, but I've seen them online and places like WalMart too. I also limited how much he was in it, but generally he let me know when he was done. Just make sure they have plenty of belly time too.

Bright Starts Activity Table
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:52 PM on Nov. 7, 2010