So what do you think of this idea?

My son got engaged in Oct. and they are planing a May wedding. Now they are thinking about a small quick ceremony now. BUT they will do a large ceremony and reception in May!

chris219

Asked by chris219 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Why not just wait. I don't know. I know that intention is usually there for a larger wedding but life seems to get in the way. I had a small wedding and always wish I had something bigger, that included my whole family. But if they have their minds and hearts set on the idea then your best bet is just support and go along with it. And hopefully be able to be a part of both.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• There is certainly no need for a wedding in May if they marry before then. It seems, at best, very silly. (and "what do I think"? I would think that the bride is probably pregnant, so that's why the "hurry up" ... and I suspect others will think the same)
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I know, I've heard of this more and more. I kind of don't get it. My brother did that about 15 years ago. Planned a wedding, everyone was all nervous and he came and told me they were already married (about 4 months ago). Oh for goodness sakes, don't tell me then!!!!!

I also have a friend who did this about 6 years ago. I never did understand why. Soemthing about the justice of the peace and not crossing state lines. Sounded weird then, weird now.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Its a good idea, my husband and I were married almost 3 years ago and we went to a justice of the peace. We have been planning on having a real ceremony but just haven't planned it yet. Then this year I got preggers and had the baby, now we decided to do it for our 5 year anniversary. So my point is don't let them procrastinate.
    courtcaton

Answer by courtcaton at 5:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I don't see the need. After all, they'll already be married. What is the motivation for throwing a wedding, just to party and to get gifts?
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 8:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My husband and I got engaged in November and found out I was pregnant in February then did a real quick simple wedding in April but plan on having a bigger one a little later.
    slowyourrole

Answer by slowyourrole at 4:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• It really depends on their reasons.   It is their decision, and all you can do is support the decision they make.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 6:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• sounds great to me
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 6:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't bother going and I wouldn't bother sending a gift. And yeah, I'd be wondering about both their situation and their motivation.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 8:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i've heard that this normal to have 2 weddings one for parents then the other for family and friends ,they are going for bigger gifts
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:06 AM on Nov. 8, 2010