Please be honest - do you really truly know the power of the supreme court? (YOU CAN BE ANONYMOUS!)

Please be honest... do you understand the supreme court?

Just say "yes" or "no" and feel free to share

I saw this:

"I don't think Obama is going to force gay marriage to be legalized in all states, he's already said he will leave it up to the individual states to decide."

But it doesn't matter what Obama thinks!! It's up to the court, and Obama is going to choose the justices! Just because Obama doesn't want it, doesn't mean that it won't happen. It could EASILY happen, (with liberal supreme court justices). Read this if you need more info:

http://focusfamaction.edgeboss.net/download/focusfamaction/pdfs/10-22-08_2012letter.pdf

So I'm just curious if you really know what the supreme court does??????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Truthfully, I didn't until just recently. I wondered "well if Bush didn't get abortion outlawed, how would McCain."

NO, I KNOW. It's because Bush never had a chance to appoint new ones because no one died or retired.

Good question.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I know. Are you just learning about the Supreme Court or something?? Congress has to approve the nominations. This isn't a new practice. Chill out. The world won't end.
    Anonymous

• Anon, 9:07 do you realize that democrats are in the majority?
    Anonymous

• Anon 9:04 said: NO, I KNOW. It's because Bush never had a chance to appoint new ones because no one died or retired.

Bush appointed TWO Justices - Roberts & Alito. Of the nine justices, I believe 6 were appointed by Republicans so if you aren't happy with the courts decisions in the past, say, 25 years, don't blame the democrats. Besides, the Court is supposed to interpret law, not create it.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 9:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Thank you for putting this reality into the spotlight. I am really impatient with the way the media just glosses over the truth of most situations - I often wonder if they actually don't KNOW their basic civics. Just because it is sensational and grabs higher ratings to blame a high profile political figure does not mean it is at all TRUE ! ... (for example, take the behavior of the media after hurricane Katrina: they blamed FEMA for not bringing in busses, etc., when the only responsibility FEMA has is to show up later and take names for insurance help. !! )
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 9:20 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• fyi: obama and mccain share the same opinion when it comes to gay marriage--they are for unions and want marriage to be left up to the states.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 9:21 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Nicely put. Very clear. ... And that in itself is an important factor - having the states decide within their smaller populations on issues such as gay marriage, abortion, public school management and what is taught ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 9:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Yes, I know.
    The way the system works, the Supreme Court has just as much power as the President, who has just as much power as Congress. It's called checks and balances and is designed to limit the power of any one branch of the government.
    The President can pick a nominee for the Court but Congress has to approve him or her. And even with a Democrat controlled congress and a Democrat President, don't expect things to go all their way. Many Presidents have been surprised when a liberal judge suddenly becomes much more conservative on the Court. The reason? As a lower court judge, they felt they could make the law do what they wanted since the Supreme Court was there to overrule them if necessary. As a member of the Court, they realize their job is to uphold the Consitiution - nothing more and nothing less.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:56 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• that would be FANTASTIC. it should be up to the individuals involved NOT any level of government.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2008