How can I make a freeze dried yogurt?

My 11 month old DD LOVES Gerber Yogurt Melts, but they are pretty pricey. Is there a way I can make something similar at home?

Asked by desertgurl02 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can freeze dry things like apples or carrots at home, but yogurt is a liquid, so freezing it on a mesh tray really isn't an option. I think you might need lab equipment to make it.

Answer by SWasson at 5:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My son love it too and it's so much easier than yogurt...less messy but they do seem pricey.

Answer by kjbennett26 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Dannon makes frozen yogurt. I buy it b/c my son likes yogurt. They are very healthy, with minimal ingredients.

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You'd have to use dry ice and/or nitrogen to do it - not anything that's very easy to do at home - and can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

• i have been searching for this answere for an hour!!! My son LOVES yogurt melts!!

Answer by bri_0110 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Did you see that Shelf Reliance has just come out with Freeze dried Yogurt bites in 6 different flavors? The just announced it two weeks ago. They come in two different sized cans that have a really long shelf life. You take check them out here: If you'd like any more information about them, feel free to contact me
    Holly C.

Answer by Holly C. at 10:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I've read on another site that you can use a cookie sheet to freeze dry, it will just take longer. Im going to try this tonight. It says to leave it in for about a week. Take one out at a time and let it thaw if it turns black or another color than its original state then they are not ready! Wouldnt hurt to try its only 50 cents loss iff it doesnt work! If it does it could be a huge money saver as my 9 month old is in love with them too!

Answer by meggiepooh4u at 6:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2011