The woman in the bible who had 5 husbands, did she actually marry him or simply have sex with them

I was reading about the woman who met Jesus at the well. John 4:17 “I have no husband,” she replied. Jesus said to her, “You are right when you say you have no husband. 18The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true.”

In your opinion was she actually married to these 5 other men or had she just slept with them? Are we married to the men that we have casually slept with as well? Are we committing adultery?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 6:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• good question.... best to do research on what that passage means the greek words and the culture of the times, that will help you with the answe.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i don't see 'casual sex' as marriage of any sort. adultery, if one or both is married.
    i always understood (the scripture) it to mean she had been married several times, perhaps with no real commitment to any-thus, the multiple marriages, and that she was simply 'shackin up' with her current man, and of course, having relations.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Jesus called those 5 men her husbands so yes I do believe she was married to them. We can assume since the past tense "had" was used to describe them, that something happened to end those marriages, either through death or divorce (yes there was divorce at that time). The Bible specifically says that she was not married to the 6th man, so we can take that to mean that she was simply living with him.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 2:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• to have a "husband" don't you have to marry the man?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• She was definitely just living with the last man. She may or may not have married the others in the real sense, but it does not matter. She was in the wrong. Jesus pointed that out to her, not unkindly. Just stated what she already knew to be true. The thing was she had sinned, but he taught her what she needed to know to turn away from the sin.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:55 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• In my opinion she was not married to these five other men because she was not married to the present "husband". When we so -called "sleep" with someone we are committing fornication. If we are married then it's called adultry.
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

Answer by Zoeyis

When you have sex with someone in God's eyes you are married to them. (I AM QUOTING FROM THE TEV BIBLE Corinthians 6:15-16) You know that your bodies are parts of the body of Christ. Shall I take a part of Christ's body and make it part of the body of a prostitute? Impossible! 16 Or perhaps you don't know that the man who joins his body to a prostitute becomes physically one with her?

I guess my question should have been clearer. Do you think that she was legally married 5 times?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2010