Labor and Birthing Classes

I really can't afford to take the classes as I just had to let my car go and we are down to one income. I figure it'll be ok since billions of women gave birth before these classes existed...right?

AprylnAtticus

Asked by AprylnAtticus at 6:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• As a doula I say if you are going to invest yourself in anything invest yourself into a prenatal yoga class. You will probably learn more valuable information that you will actually use in the labor room. Plus I think that those classes are generally not super supportive of a woman who desires a natural labor. It's like half focused on things you can do to alleviate the pain for yourself and the other half is going over hospital procedure that you "might" need.

This day and age you are better off educating yourself. (Might I suggest Ina May's Guide To Childbirth and watching the movie The Business Of Being Born for starters?)

Good luck, mama!
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 7:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You will be fine. Read, read and read some more. Talk to others. And you might find a few free classes.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I've read damn near every book I can gt my hands on and also hours of research online (getting my Google PhD) just kinda got a minor guilt trip from doc at last appointment and started to worry but the classes just dont fit the budget you know
    AprylnAtticus

Comment by AprylnAtticus (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I took Bradley classes when I was pregnant with my first baby. I enjoyed the classes, but they really didn't do much as far as preparing me for labor. I wouldn't worry about not taking classes.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• you will be fine :) i couldn't afford classes either. now two childre later i don't feel that i missed anything. i agree with the read all you can. ask your ob if she can give you a few pointers on breathing through contractions until you can get to the L&D then have the nurses help you. that's what they are there for :) GL
    TZimm

Answer by TZimm at 9:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Just curious--can you qualify for Medicaid if you're down to one income? Will Medicaid pay for classes? Sometimes allowances are made for "low income" folks, so don't be afraid to call you County Health Office and inquire.

I've not taken classes and don't intend to, but a local hospital offers free classes (not exactly sure what goes on in them) for expectant mothers...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• There are free classes, free birth doulas, free birth videos & (more) books!

Of course, women are born to deliver their babies without training.

But we are not meant to deliver in hospitals with all the interventions.

To get what you want from your birth experience may take preparation...

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:14 AM on Nov. 8, 2010