a question about toe injuries

ok so my hubs stubbed his toe ( the little toe next to the pinky toe) reaaaaaly hard on the metal lip of a stair at work. the toe is very bruised (blue and purple) and swollen and there is pretty much no skin on the tip of it (im so sorry if this is really gross)he did this on friday evening and its finally stopped bleeding through the bandages. i have had him soaking his foot and ice on the toe. and i sit there with wound cleanser and clean it and i coat the wound area with bacitracin and keep the wound very covered. im concerned if there maybe underlying injury. he says it hurts when touched but also mentioned "tingling" . he says the pain isnt as bad as the night it occured. anyone know much about foot/toe injuries????

tylersmommy54

Asked by tylersmommy54 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Health

• Well, I'd keep it clean with peroxide, and maybe neosporin, I'm not a medical person, but I will tell you that I broke my little toe recently when I stepped in front of my son as I was stepping of a curb, and my son (who weighed 175lbs.) stepped right down on my toe over the edge of the curb. The x-rayed it, but did nothing for it. Told me ice of course, then heat, and to try to stay of it and keep it elevated as much as possible.

I would watch for infection though, and if necessary see a doctor.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• That should of course be hydrogen peroxide, or another anti-septic cleaner.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• sounds like it may be broken, tell him to just keep it wrapped in gauze and tapped to the next toe for a few days and take some ibuprofen for swelling. as a toe breaking expert ( 6 times i know i know im "special") if it is a break it'll hurt for a month and anytime its really cold forever but they generally cant do anything for you at the doctor but tell you to ice it tape it and take something forthe swelling
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 6:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• It may be broken but to be honest...there is nothing is not that can be done for that. They may tape it to the next toe to immobilize it but it will heal on its own. I broke my big toe years ago but didn't seek treatment. It is still crooked.
    momtoeight

Answer by momtoeight at 6:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• It sounds like you're doing a great job caring for his toe. There's not much else you can do.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• he should gone to the hospital and have doctor look at it
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 8:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Sounds broken to me. but he nees to go to the doctor before it gets infected
    HaRlEiGhSmOmMa

Answer by HaRlEiGhSmOmMa at 2:51 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would not put peroxide on it, and honestly, i would leave it alone a bit, rather than constantly cleaning and irritating it. If he is having tingling though, he could have some nerve damage, he might need to get to the dr.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Id take him to the DR to make sure there is no infection. If its broken, they don't really do anything
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2010