If your baby has some sort of developmental abnormality...

or a condition like downs etc....did you tell people? Even if it was just a possibility?

We have been honest with friends and family that so far there have been concerns over our son's small size, the small size of his limbs in proportion to his body and 1 of his kidneys is also a little small. We've just been open and frank as it doesn't matter to us, these problems may correct themselves before birth ... but they may not. And we dont care.

that being said...some friends have made comments like "do you know if baby is normal yet?" or "hope pregnancy is going well despite his problems" and little things like that. Its really starting to irriate me how much pity some of my friends seem to have over it. Their faces when they talk about the baby, or whatever.

I wish i kept it to myself in a way. I may even be overreacting but its really upsetting me.

Anyone else been in a similar boat? How did you manage it?

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 6:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Is it possible your baby has dwarfism?
    Anonymous

• It is like when I had my two misc. people just do not know what to say. It is better if they say nothing at all. Even just giving you a hug would be better instead of opening there mouth. Just hang in there I know it is upsetting to you. Here is a hug from me to you!!!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Keep in mind, they are just trying to express concern. It may be irritating and inappropriate, but they don't really know what to say.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Even if you're not religious, simply respond with a version of, "Thank you for caring enough to ask about us, but we're leaving it in God's hands, now." It generally makes people take a step back and close their mouth. GOOD LUCK!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I think you would have found it too much to bear alone to have kept it a secret from everyone. Unfortunately, some people just have no tact when it comes to sensitive things. But I'm sure you can manage to stay silent for a long moment and give them such a look of disapproval to make them realize they've crossed a line & said something totally inappropriate ;o)
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 11:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2010