Why is it that many moms dont seem to want a 20 year old watching their children?

I posted a survery trying to get a littl ebit of useful information before I started babysitting again. And I was shocked to see the amount of people who dont want a 20 year old to watch their children.

lovemylittle1

Asked by lovemylittle1 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Money & Work

• I don't know. I don't see why there would be a problem with that as long as the person is qualified and responsible.
    mamastefl

Answer by mamastefl at 2:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• i wouldn't have a problem if she/he was responsible but to be honest i know very few 20 year olds that are responsible. And i'm not that much older- I'm 23 and wouldn't let many of my own friends watch my baby. but its not their age- its how they act
    gingerfargas

Answer by gingerfargas at 2:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I don't see what the problem is. I mean people hire teenagers to babysit! lol How many of us babysat while we were 13-18 years old?

Personally I would think it has to do with the person more than anything else. If they're not responsible then I don't want them watching my kids. It doesn't have to do so much with age.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 2:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• all on maturity. I let my good friends 16 year old daughter watch my kids for hours but won't let my neighbors watch them together,much less seperate,for more than 15 minutes. and they are 20 and 21.
    electricblue

Answer by electricblue at 2:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• Don't see there being a problem..get licensed and people look at your qualifying skills differently.
    Anonymous

• Were the ppl in the survey married? I would imagine that many women don't want a 20 yr old around her husband and less about her being around the children!

Answer by admckenzie at 5:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I worked as a nanny for many years. Only once did this topic sort of come up. The husband, with his wife present, made a comment that his male friends gave him a hard time about me. I was 19 when I began the job and we are still in touch. So in a sense I agree with admckenzie too.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I had to get a nanny a few yrs ago and interviewed to slightly older nannies first. I have to say, they didn't turn up for interviews and in the case of one woman we hired, she just failed to turn up to work anymore. Another woman in her mid 20's quit after two wks, because with her other commitments her days were too long.
    We ended up hiring a 20 yr old. I was a bit nervous at first but she was great. She listened to what we had to say and got our daughter to give up her pacifier and go to sleep in her bed!
    I do agree with the others as well. Dress conservatively. We already don't want to leave our kids with someone else; we don't need to worry about our husbands too!
    Make sure you have completed an Infant CPR class, and get fingerprinted/registered with your state. These things prove you are serious. You might consider sitting thru an agency for a short period of time to get references, or charging a little less than the going rate, to get the experience.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 2:38 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Just looking strictly at age, I would choose an older woman for the job. Theoretically older women have more experience with children and theoretically are more responsible. In real life though I will pick the person whom my kids adore, shows responsibility and handles herself professionally,someone I have taken the time to get to know. That could very well be a 20 yr old!!
    SensualScents

Answer by SensualScents at 8:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Where are all the people that said they wouldn't?? Age is only a number.
    brimarie8

Answer by brimarie8 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2008