Can a Christian lose their salvation?

Is it once saved always saved?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 6:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• St. Paul said that he worked out his salvation each day with trembling...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• So that's a yes?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I don't believe anyone can lose God's love or grace, Christian or otherwise, but instead believe in the universal "salvation" of all mankind.

So, no, I don't believe Christians (or anyone) can lose their "salvation". (the quotes aren't intended to be offensive, just to imply my unease about using the word to explain how I believe, as I don't really believe there is anything to be saved from)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I don't know. Can you lose what you never had in the first place?
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i would say Yes and have lost salvation according to Allah in the Quran. the Christians were on the right path... by following Jesus and what he came to teach. but they strayed away when they took him for Lord .. so they are now astray.

over time Since the beginning God has been sending messengers and prophets some we know of and others we do not know of... with each new revelation came a guide to accepting God but people still reject him all together and some accept him but only according to their conditions and thought processes.

According to the Quran.. no other religion (of any kind) will be accepted except Islam (islam being submission to the one who Created the Universe and everything in it).

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 2:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yes you can lose your salvation. I don't think salvation is a one time event in your life.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I don't think you can "lose" your salvation like it is an item that you own... but I do believe that you can walk away from it. My reasoning for this is John 10:28 no one can make you lose your salvation.... aka pluck you out of the hand of God, but in Revelation 3:5 it says, "He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels." That he said that he would not blot it out of the book of life alludes to it being able to be blotted out... not to mention in John 15:5-6 it talks about how if we don't live in Christ (the vine) we are (the branches) cut off and cast into the fire (hell)... so I don't think anyone can make you lose salvation, but I believe you can throw away your gift....
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 5:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yes. I've seen it happen. Just because you've been baptized does not mean you are free to go back to a sinful lifestyle. I'm not talking about day to day stuff that makes us stumble. I'm talking about when you purposely turn your back on God --you know the truth and yet you don't want to turn away from the sin that has you trapped, or you deny there is a God. Having said that, you can get back into grace, very easily. It's all about choice. You can choose to follow Christ's path or you can choose to go your own way. When you breathe your last though, there is no more choice.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:46 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• God doesn't take away our free will after we've accepted Him. We are always free to return to a life of sin and willful disobedience.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 10:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I don't think you can... once you're saved you're never the same. Even if you do go back to your dark days.
    mz_erica03

Answer by mz_erica03 at 11:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2010