time to hang it up

i want to know at what age should a person stop driving.

gianna530

Asked by gianna530 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Health

• Age has no difference to anything. There are 20 year olds who drive worse then some 70 year olds. It's when they are unable to drive safetly. Whether it be because of eye sight impairment, memory loss, inability to move your body properly, or whatever the case may be.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I think that a person should be allowed to drive until there is reason for them to "not" drive. I don't think you can just state an age because everyone is so different. There are people who are 90 out there that feel better than me some days.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I don't know if there is a right answer for that. I think that once a person loses the ability to fully pay attention and concentration, then it's time to hang it up. Vision tests and written tests are not good enough for this so once a person reaches retirement age, I feel that they should start taking the actual driving test each year.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My dad was forced by a stoke to stop at age 78. My mom is 78 now and she doesn't want to drive much anymore. I think she goes about 2 months on one tank of gas...mostly just to nearby doctors (within 1-2 miles at a time). I don't really want her to drive if she feels like she shouldn't but how to get her and dad to the doc???? I have an uncle who drove until he was 99, then he thought it was stupid to keep paying car taxes and insurance and gave it up for $$ reasons. He never had an accident as far as I know.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• wow good for him i hope to be able to do that myself. i guess you right its not the age that matters is the ability to be aware i guess and to know themselves when to give it op only they would know.
    gianna530

Comment by gianna530 (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Age is not the factor. When s/he can't drive safely anymore, that's when. Some people should never drive.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2010