Traveling With A 13 Month Old!

We will be leaving in a little bit to go on our first vacation with our son. He will be 13 months old. We will be flying and then going on a cruise for 5 days. Does anyone have any plane or cruise tips for me? I am worried about how his naps and bedtime will be on the cruise, since we will obviously be sharing a very small room. Help!!!!

LehmanJess

Asked by LehmanJess at 6:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here's the answer...DON'T DO IT! He won't enjoy it as a matter of fact, he'll probably be uncomfortable and you all will be miserable. Wait till the child is old enough to at least walk.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 7:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I can't back out now. We leave next week. Also, he has been walking since right before 10 months.
    LehmanJess

Comment by LehmanJess (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• maybe someone could watch him if your worried about that. Like a friend or family member. Hope you have a blast on the cruise :)
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Shes right. He'll be miserable.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I'm pretty sure I answered this question in the travel section. You'll be fine with him as long as you bring enough for him to do.
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• On the plane, bring extra diapers, food, toys/books and wipes (enough to last through a reasonable delay). Pack a change of clothes for the whole family in the carry-on (you'll probably not need it, but just incase). And just be ready to entertain a wiggly kid for the duration of the flight. It will be fine.

I'm coming to realize that traving with kids will mean that I don't sleep well. It's only really a vacation in the sense that we're doing different things in a new different place as a family, but it's not restful like in pre-baby days. Does he sleep if you hold/rock/co-sleep? You could always just try to put him down in the pack-n-play, but be ready to just nap/sleep with him if necessary. During our last vacation I basically slept in the rocking recliner the whole time because he came down with an ear infection and was scared of the tiny bedrooms (mild claustrophobia, yay!)
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2010