Help Please!

I've been contracting for days now..today they've been not really more than 5-10 min apart, and oh so painful. How long do you usually contract before it's go time?? Doctor pretty much told me at this point not to come in unless water breaks.....any signs before that happens?

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• your plug should come first.
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 9:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• no signs before your water breaks...i was asleep and mine broke right after i woke up...who knows, yours might not even break. you're supposed to go to L&D after they're under 5 minutes apart. to help you out, you can go to contractionmaster.com and click on start timer in the top right hand corner...it gives you how long the contraction was, and how far apart they were. You're not actually in active labor until you hit 4cm...i went in to L&D when i was contracting under 5 minutes apart and i was only 3cm so they sent me home with a sleeping pill, i woke up a couple of hours later and then my water broke, so i went back to L&D and i was a 4cm. they kept me cuz my water had broke and i was in active labor, finally! the lil' bugger was a whole week late!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• i didnt contract and i never knew or saw my plug before my water broke i didnt have any signs. sorry i cant help you with that one.
    Anonymous

• When the contractions get under five minutes, go ahead and go in and get checked. I never knew that my water broke on my first two, and i would hate for you to wait too long. I hope that helps.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• With my last child, I went into labor on the 15th and didn't have her til the 20th....yeah, consistant contractions, but no progress. I was sent home from hospital TWICE - the second time with Ambian.....needless to say I was a little nuts by that time!! Good luck!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• When your contractions are consistently 5 minutes apart go to the hospital. My water didn't break with either of my children. My OB broke my water when he showed up to deliver, both times, and the baby(ies) came within minutes after that.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• why would u wait till your water broke.. sometimes it doesnt... and contractions they say every 5 mins lasting for one min. BUT THAT never happened to me... every 2 mins 45 seconds long water never broke ... u dont labor for days.. that is stupid.. is like pre labor contractions they dont do anything but cause you pain and want to explode.
    Anonymous

• remember 4-1-1. 4 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute regularily for 1 hour. Water breakage isn't always a good measurement for when to go to the hospital. If it gets to be too much to handle at home I would go in to get checked out. Good Luck =D
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• yeah i was contracting every 2-3 min I think and my water didn't break and I don't remember if I was even dialated, this was 6yrs ago. I had my epideral and then a little after my water broke
    Anonymous

• continued, oops!! I also was like a few days past my due date
    Anonymous