First pregnancy Questions....

This is my first pregnancy and I have so many questions that I can't wait for my first OB appointment. So here goes I appreciate any insight that anyone can give me also...

1. I'm 4 weeks pregnant today, when will my first OB appointment be?

2. What is the best way to find an OB?

3. (I know this one isn't for a while, but) When do I find out the sex of the baby?

4. Multiples run in our family and they asked us to get the blood test again in two days is that to find out how many babies might be in me? Or is it about something that I should worry about?

5. What is the best baby book around? I want one that is kinda like a journal where I can tell the baby what was going on everyday with him or her.

6. When do you start laumaze (sorry I spelled it wrong) classes? Once again I know it won't be for a while.

7. How do you calm down not so morning, morning sickness?

8. Should I

lc20101782

Asked by lc20101782 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 1. normally not until 8-12 weeks
    2. Ask around for people that have had kids and see who they recommend. You can also 'interview' the docs.
    3. normally not until after 20 weeks to be more accurate.
    4. They just want to make sure that they know how many babies they are dealing with since they may want to take extra measurements at each visit.
    5. I like the Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy over any of the others.
    6. Lamaze normally doesn't start until you are 34 weeks or over. They want you to be closer to your due date.
    7. I have no idea since I never had it but there are some moms on here that can help you out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• 1.I think you can make your appointment now.

2. You can go to your primary and they'll recommend you one and may even have a list of ones covered by your insurance in the area.

3. usually between 14-20 weeks

4. I'm not too sure about multiples. They might give u and ultrasound in a few weeks and count how many flickers of heartbeats.

5. I haven't bought one yet. I did a lot of my shopping online and didn't want to buy a baby book online because I couldn't go through the pages.

7. Don't let yourself go hungry. Hunger is what causes the majority of nausea.
    slowyourrole

Answer by slowyourrole at 7:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i found out the sex of my baby at 14 weeks.. which was early!! Although, if they see it looks like a girl that early, they wont tell you.. because the parts could have not developed yet.. so because mine is a boy this time, thats how i new so early!

I got my book/journal at Burlington Coat Factory in their baby section. It was 20 dollars on sale for half off, and i absolutely love it!

good luck! have fun!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 7:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Congratulations!!

1. Probably around 8 weeks.

2. Ask your friends, then check your insurance to make sure they are in-network for you. Don't be afraid to switch if you aren't comfortable with that OB. :)

3. Well.....all of mine were surprises, so I highly advise you NOT to find out. :) But, if you really want to - it's usually around 18 weeks.

4. I'm not sure on this one as far as multiples go. But they did draw blood at my first appointments too.

5. I LOVED Vicki Iovine's The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy, & The Girlfriend's Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood.' But 'What to Expect when you are Expecting' is pretty much the Bible for Expectant Moms.

6. I never took Lamaze, sorry.

7. Eat some crackers. Even if you don't feel like it. Eating small snacks throughout the day, and as soon as you wake up will help tremendously.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 7:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• what to expect when you are expecting is the BEST book i was given when i got prego with my first. it can answer so many questions for you it is worth teh investment!
    TZimm

Answer by TZimm at 9:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I don't encourage you to use an OB unless you know you have complications/need a surgeon. Look for a midwifery practice for normal-healthy-safe maternity care.

Looking for the right provider is done at any time, the earlier the better.
    You can interview several to choose the one you like best.
    I can offer links to help with this.

Some women will have ultrasounds mid-way through the pregnancy, others learn baby's gender at birth.
    You can research to see if you want to have ultrasounds or not.
    You will discover that pregnancy will involve a lot of risk-weighing. Some prefer to avoid ultrasound exposure unless necessary.

I wouldn't worry about multiples, if it happens, you'll find out soon~

Read Ina May's Guide To Childbirth.
    Also consider Birthing From Within's book & workbook
    (*I can suggest many titles, lol)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• continued:

I have taken several birth classes, depends on what style you want...
    Look into what is offered in your area and when they are offered.
    I loved taking a few kinds and I spanned most of my pregnancy in some sort of a class or another, lol. But I am a birth junkie, not everyone want to go to birth classes for 7 months...
    ;-P

Work on regulating your blood sugar. By keeping it stabilized you may find the nausea decreases. There are a lot of remedies, let me know if you want more...

What was your last question??!??
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:44 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If you can use a midwife, if you can't use a doctor who backs-up the area midwives. My best doctor was recommended to me by a midwife who wasn't in my plan, and his practise included 3 other doctors and a midwife in the office. I met them all, didn't like the midwife, but really liked the doctor.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:53 AM on Nov. 8, 2010