What did you spend on your child the first year?

Pregnant with my first and pondering the financials of the upcoming year. What did you spend on your child during the first year? Diapers (cloth or disposable), formula, clothing, etc... Thanks!

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 7:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We tried disposable dipes for a short vacation. We spent $40 in a week. So we said, screw diapers. We went 100% cloth. I bought all new and mostly organic prefolds. We use grovia shells. $400= diapers for life.

I breast feed and don't supplement. That's cheap! I did buy a breast pump and bottles. The Lansinoh pump was $135 at babies r us with the coupon (they have a 20% off coupon every time you shop). We use glass bottles by Wee Go which were $90 for a set of 6 including nipples.

Grandparents buy a lot of our clothes. Grandma converted frequent flyer miles for our nursery furniture.

Don't tell people if you are having a boy or girl. They will get you more practical stuff for your shower and not a bunch of stupid clothes all in the new born size that only lasts a week. They will get you gender neutral things like blankets and changing pads.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• For diapers I used disposable for the first month and probably spent over $100. Then we switched to cloth BumGenius one size pocket diapers and I bought 20 for around $300 and my son is now 7 month old and these will last until he is potty trained.
    For formula I spend at least $40 a week for similac. I buy all my clothing at garage sales and Goodwill and probably spent $200. As far as lotions and soaps- A bottle of baby wash probably lasts a month, and lotion probably one lasts a month too.
    Our biggest expence was carseats. I paid $200 for his infant Chicco carseat and $70 for an extra base for the second vehicle. I decided at 6 months to transfer him to a convertible which we spent $400 for 2 carseats(one for each vehicle).
    Dont for get about doctor bills. We have awesome medical insurance but still had to pay $500 for my deductible, and another $500 for my sons just for the hospital stay when we had him.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I don't know the exact amount...
    I didn't spend much on clothes or toys because I received alot through my baby shower & Christmas that year.
    I used disposable diapers, but always clipped coupons. In the beginning, you go through more diapers, but there are more in a box.
    By the time my dd was around 6 mos old - I would say we went through 4-5 diapers a day??
    I breastfed so I didn't have to buy much formula - only a small can here and there when I supplemented.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 7:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Not much......I was given cloth diapers as a gift at a baby shower.....I did buy formula because I wasn't able to breastfeed....I bought used clothing, and basically they spent the first year in onesies and t-shirts with the occasional cute outfit bought at a yard sale or given as a gift...a pacifier, insurance covered the doctor's visit's and hospital....but that was probably the biggest expense (paying our part)....I was given a used car seat....I found a used crib for $50....it came with a mattress and sheets....I learned that real food was better and cheaper than baby food when they started eating, so I fed them off my plate....I was a stay-at-home mom, so I didn't pay for daycare...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2010