HELP he WONT potty train, what do i do.

my son is now 2 1/2 and still not potted train and its driving me NUTS. i have been working at this since he was 1 1/2 or younger. he can go in it i know that, he knows when he has to go, he takes off his diaper when he goes in it, can wake up in the morning dry, and will even some times come tell me after he has gone on my floor.
and now he has started this new thin where he runs to his room (past the bathroom by the way) to potty in his room on the carpet on in his play house.
i have tried it all, cherryos, candy, stickers, time out, early bed, toys, taking him every 30 min, big boy pants, pull ups, if you can name a trick i have tried it. I'm at the end of my rope with him. and i dont know WHAT to do.
i and my scrub brush cant handle any more and diapers are starting to give him heat rash around the lags when he plays thought out the day in them so he needs to be out of them. PLEASE SOME ONE HELP ME.

Manda_Evans

Asked by Manda_Evans at 7:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you need to take a step back and start over. There are very few things kids can control and going potty is one of them. It sounds like he might not be going becaucse you really want him to. This is what I did, first I took my kids shopping for new underwear. I let them pick out whatever they wanted. Then we went shopping for stickers and again, I let them get whatever stickers they wanted. When we got home, I printed a calendar page and put it up in the bathroom. Every time they went they would get to put a sticker on the calendar. After "X" number of stickers they would get something special. Sometimes we would go for ice cream or we would make a special dinner.

I think that if you back off a little and don't push so hard he might start going on his own.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• LOL, my son didn't potty train until right before he turned 4 years old! It was like a switch flipped and he was ready!
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 7:46 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• oh there is no way i will let him go to 4, goddess please NO.
    Manda_Evans

Comment by Manda_Evans (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My son will be 3 next month and he still isn't potty trained. He just simply isn't ready.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Doesn't sound like he's ready. Is there a reason why you're pushing it?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• one of the reasons why i am pushing is we are goin to have another baby in may and i dont want 2 in diapers. and other reason is i dont want to wait tell he is like my friends kids who is 4 and in school the size of a 6 year old and still in diapers. i will not be the parent that dosent work with there kids.
    Manda_Evans

Comment by Manda_Evans (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Manda, just because a child is 4 and still in diapers does not mean the parents aren't working with their kids! Who fed you that load of poop??? Some kids take longer than others, and pushing the issue won't make the process go any faster. I would be more concerned about your child's emotional and physical readiness rather than worrying about what others think or say.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i'm more worried about waiting TO long. my sons school should not be the ones do it all day i should. my son can already put out his shapes his numbers and colors, he may not talk, but he is smart. because i worked with him i have watch to many kids fall behind in things kuse there "young" parents aren't working with them i was barely 21 when i had my son as where some of my friends 1 couple i use to hang with have 3 kids and not one is where there are supposed to be and not one lives with them, and the others are sending ther 4 year old unpotty trained to school and has been held back once again.
    Manda_Evans

Comment by Manda_Evans (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Ok, I have kids 15 mo apart and so I had 2 in diapers. It is not that bad. The hard part is messing with difficult potty training problems while you have a baby to take care of. My dd was doing really well with potty training but she had a poop accident that caught me off guard, which I think scared her and so she stopped pooping for DAYS. You can't force a kid to poop let me tell you. It was pretty traumatic for her and me- so we went back to diapers for poop and yes it was frustrating but 8 months later she finally pooped in the potty- willingly. My guess is that you are pushing so hard and your son is picking up on it. Kids have to be physically AND emotionally ready and if you push too much you risk causing emotional harm. If you want to work with your kid- work in a way that is best for HIM. Most people say that once you stop pushing/rewarding/punishing and even caring that is when they will get it.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 10:50 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• my biggest worry is that the diapers will keep giving rashes. he has really sensitive skin and it dont matter what brand we use or dont use. all that seems to help with it is that he be with out. and when i am 6 to 7 months along i cant keep getting down on the floor and scrub the floor. yes having 2 in diapers will not be fun but i wouldn't be half as worried about it if it wasnt for the extra need for creams and powders i have to use with my son, and i just know the new baby will most likely need the same. and my son is a wiggler to its about a 20 min ordeal.
    Manda_Evans

Comment by Manda_Evans (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2010