O...Christmas tree :(

I have a 17 month old. How can I make him stop grabbing ornaments off of the tree? Time out is an option we have been using when he gets in trouble. Time maybe?

trijobaby

Asked by trijobaby at 7:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my oldest was this age, we had a small tree and put it where she couldn't get to it...I don't know what we are going to do this year. We have an 18 month old, too. Eeeeeeek. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Put all of the ornaments high up on the tree. A few that he is allowed to take off would be nice within his reach. Something unbreakable- wrapping paper glued to cardboard shapes, for example.

Answer by Bmat at 7:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• When ours was that age we put the christmas tree in a playpen...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Maybe a little fence or something around it? like a baby yard gate or something? Seems like I read about someone else doing something similar.

Or maybe, get a couple of his own he can have. When he goes to to touch the ones on the tree, take him away and give him the ones he's allowed to play with. If they're shiny it's probably the color that attracts him to it, so if he has his own, maybe he'll be less likely to go for those.
    Anonymous

• When ours were little we put the tree up on a table or put up a gate. We are not ones to fight losing battles.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I was thinking of the yard gate too. Maybe putting a train or ski set that goes around the tree will keep him occupied enough to not want to try to get past it to get to the tree..... maybe lol
    slowyourrole

Answer by slowyourrole at 7:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Honestly, the gate is your best bet. It's so hard to keep them away from the tree unless you plan to make it your full time job!
    sophiesmom07

Answer by sophiesmom07 at 8:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I put ornaments that the kids could touch at the bottem of the tree and the breakable ones at the top! Curiosity is only natural!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't want to punish him all through the holiday season because of a Christmas tree! I know you might want one in a certain area, but why put your child through that? If it was a problem, I'd put it out of reach in another room or area that he can't get into it. The Christmas tree should be a source of PLEASURE AND GOOD MEMORIES for you but also your kid.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• for a 17 mo old, 3-5 min is just enough time out. and he must be out of sight of you, andwith no toys or anything.. oh and any longer than 5 minsandhe will likely forget why he is there in the first place. GL
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 8, 2010