how much should i charge my friend for babysitting?

today my friend/neighbor asked me to watch her kids 3 days a week while she works... i would watch her two kids... the 5-year old would be with me all day and the 7-year old would be with me before and after school... my friend works 12 hour shifts... she told me to come up with a price, but i'm not sure whats fair... the extra money would be great, but i also know she's a single mom and just getting established in her new field (she graduated college in june) so i don't want to charge too much... should i charge by the day or by the hour? any advice is welcome...

babymar

Asked by babymar at 9:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would charge $30 a day.
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 9:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• $30 a day is fair, not too much, not too little. You'll have one child all day and have to pick up the other at school, provide meals and snacks, and entertainment. $30 is fair and it would benefit her as well as you.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• 12 hours is quite a long day. I would go for about 40-45 a day considering its both kids.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 12:12 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• $30 sounds pretty fair to both of you.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Here the going rate is $3/hr. On average. Per kid though. That'd be up to you.
    rlemde

Answer by rlemde at 12:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i used to do a lot of baby sitting. i would just ask them what they thought was fair. of course, i ended up with a lot of jobs where people werent all that great to their kids and i knew they would leave them with anyone. so i would just do it any way so i knew the kids were safe. i would just ask her what she thinks is fair, or if she's a really great friend dont charge anything, maybe once in awhile ask her to watch your child while you go out for a couple hours.
    sunfreezeinmi

Answer by sunfreezeinmi at 4:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i would charge 5000.00 an hour. :) does that work marlee?
    kclick213

Answer by kclick213 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2009