how do you stop "the runs" for a 6 yr old

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 8:00 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Health

• give the pink stuff it will stop not right way but it does work
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 8:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. Lots of fluids... (The BRAT diet) Also call the Dr. if you feel like you should.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• start with toast for solids....offer lots of water....if you are pretty sure it's not bacterial, imodium.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 8:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Let it run it's course.. If you try to stop it from coming out one end it will come out the other.. Keep him hydrated and let it run its course, if it last longer than 24-48 hours call the ped.. Most "stomach bugs" which are going around now end by 48 hours if not sooner..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• keep hydrated and dont try to stop it... it is better to let it out thn to keep it in..
    jtaylor87

Answer by jtaylor87 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• is it okay to send him to school if he has this problem? the bathroom is right in the classroom ( kindergarten )
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't but that's just me.. Even if the bathroom is right there, he wont learn much going back and forth so much. Plus it can be embarrassing even for little ones.. When my son had it, I picked him up from school and kept him home the next day..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• they make an imodium ad for children...
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't be able to get an anti diarrhea medicine til tomorrow. I live in a small town and everything is closed except the gas station
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I have my kids eat lots of crackers and bread until the runs stop. They don't like applesauce or rice, so the BRAT diet is out. We just take the parts they'll actually eat.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2010